Hard Times

flutterby

Fly away!
I just discovered that if you go to Kroger.com you can download coupons right to your Kroger card, then print a list of what you downloaded. That must be relatively new, or I've completely missed it before.

H

HaoZi

Kroger has been updating stuff. Last time they updated they decided the Kroger 3 miles from me no longer exists (yes, it's still open, refurbished a couple of months ago as a matter of fact).

Star*

call 911........call 911
You can do that to a lot of the places you shop. I belive coupons.com will allow you to put their coupons on your cards - you have to take the time to list your cards, the numbers, the stores (I think) I don't use those that way because then I forget what I had, what I was buying, and what coupons I had. Then Kroger here has a habit of NOT giving you credit for your cellfire coupons. You can also in some places have them down loaded right to your Iphone - that's pretty wild. Some girls I knew did that for Target. You just pull up your coupons on an app on your Iphone.

I get free stuff from Arbys that way - I LOVE that. I don't have an Iphone but Arbys had a deal where you sign up for there texts and I get free food from them all the time.

flutterby

Fly away!
The nice thing about Kroger.com is that after you download the coupons to your card you can print a list of what you downloaded.

flutterby

Fly away!
I must be doing something terribly wrong. I spent at least 5 hours today selecting and cutting coupons, comparing sales ads to each other and to coupons, and put together a spreadsheet of what to buy from each store complete with coupon amount, sale amount, and end total. With the sales and the coupons, I'm not saving any money. In fact, I might be spending more because my list only includes what is in the sales ads and is not everything I need. I realize that some of the coupons are for "buy 2 or 3 of an item" and I will save on my next trip, but there isn't *that* many of them.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I must be doing something terribly wrong. I spent at least 5 hours today selecting and cutting coupons, comparing sales ads to each other and to coupons, and put together a spreadsheet of what to buy from each store complete with coupon amount, sale amount, and end total. With the sales and the coupons, I'm not saving any money. In fact, I might be spending more because my list only includes what is in the sales ads and is not everything I need. I realize that some of the coupons are for "buy 2 or 3 of an item" and I will save on my next trip, but there isn't *that* many of them.

Heather--

This is exactly why I use the "category" method. I make sure that I cover all my needs first.

I also decide the dollar amount I want to spend FIRST - before I even check the ads.

So, for example, I might say...well, I only want to spend $60 this week. Publix and BiLo have really good sales this week. So let me see what I can get for $30 at Publix and $30 at BiLo.

Making sure all my bases are covered first, I know it will cost $x to get eggs, bread, milk, meat. Then I will spend the rest of my budget getting as many good deals as I can. (and when there are freebies and items that cost only a few cents after coupons, I can get a lot of extras.)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Daisy..........I'm going to have to do it that way as I really do only have X amt of dollars to spend. lol

This week is eggs, butter, cheese, milk as a must have. Dish soap (no one has it on coupon and I think mine will stretch a while longer) laundry soap (coupon) dog food (coupons) cat litter and cat food (coupons) razors (coupons). My list isn't very long this week. Freezer is full and we're stretching food as long as possible, especially meats. Dog/cat food nearly kill us even with the cheap stuff as Molly has to eat some type of soft food. Cat litter too is expensive. I don't know about cats but i swear bruce goes enough for 3. ugh

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Cat litter too is expensive. I don't know about cats but i swear bruce goes enough for 3. ugh

My cats? Are fat. Weasel was the only skinny one. I had to get oversize litter pans. And they still pee on the edge, on the floor...

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just a suggestion - because I made a LOT of rookie mistakes -

CUT ONLY the coupons you NEED for that week - PRINT ----coupons for stuff you like and MIGHT use. NOT ALL of them.

When I started? I clipped, cut, trimmed coupons for hours and hours thinking - OH I might need that or that or that. Naught ah. Now I get the paper - write the date ON THE FRONT of that coupon pack/papers - and set it in a folder. Of course I go through them and cut the ones I KNOW i need right away that match my needs list. The rest? I cut whenever - watching tv show - or whatever free time I have.

I also have coupon trains - and let me tell you DO NOT let those envelopes set. GO through them as you get them - MAKE TIME. Pick out the ones you want - then put the others in an envelope - and SEND THEM OUT THAT DAY. Or if you swap - do the same but SWAP. I love my BCC best coupon cutters - for doing this and my trains love me for it too. For example - I KNOW I won't ever use diaper coupons - or frozen pizzas like totinos or makeup - those go right in the envelope. Now - sometimes you may need or think you need those make up things for the "make money" deals - but I am of the mind - If I need them to MAKE my deal? I really didn't need that deal. So I just move on. I'm not really into the drug store game - of making money -unless I know there is a bath soap, razors or deoderant coming up I want. If it doesn't? Cest lavi

Also - Target is awesome about stacking coupons. I live for blinkies. Although since the show? I've noticed fewer and fewer machines.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ummm.................what is a "blinkie"?? lol

Yeah, went a tad crazy on the first days of printing cutting coupons. Still only kept basically to things I or one of the girls use.

I watched the show last night. They had twins on there.........who do it sort of like you describe.......not sure how I'd do with a file system. I need to SEE to remember, so dunno. But I did like they managed to go get what they wanted/needed and not wipe out the bleeping store........and walked away with a steal. I just can't see myself approaching the cashier with 6 carts and standing there for 2 hrs (swear to god one did on the show) while she rang me up. I was like omg you're kidding! Poor cashier I hope her manager gave her a break after that one. lol

everywoman

I am a big couponer----learned to do it years ago---stopped and the daughter in law reintroduced me several years ago. I do internet coupons from various sites---I also use several sites that list what stores have on sale and show you coupon matches---
www.couponkeri.com
[URL="www.carolinacoupouner.com"]www.carolinacoupouner.com

www.southernsavers.com

I also use electronic coupons that I load to my store cards---I have one for the grocery store I frequent, one for several drug stores in town.

My biggest issue is that in town we only have 1 grocery store and a Walmart. No one doubles. This summer, when I have time, I'm planning on weekly trips to the beach where I have more options.

Yesterday, I was planning for a weekend get away with Mr. Sexy and used coupons to buy some Dailey's premixed cocktails-Little pouches you place in the freezer and then they form little slushy drinks---I got 6 of them for free!!!

I also use daily deal sites to pick up things for gifts----
I bought myself $70 worth of organic produce--delivered from a farm for $20. I think it was like 17 lbs of produce and fresh herbs.
I don't buy Diet Coke unless it's on sale---I like when the local drug stores have them on sale and then give you reward bucks for buying. That's like free cash, which I use to buy other items on sale.
I plan my meals around what's on sale and what I have coupons for.
I also buy the meat in the grocery store that they've reduced because it is going to be out of date that day. I get a lot of mean 1/2 price and then freeze until I need it.
Mr. Sexy laughed at me and my coupon book when I first pulled it out---Now, he asks if I have it before we go shopping.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Mr. Sexy laughed at me and my coupon book when I first pulled it out---Now, he asks if I have it before we go shopping.

Love it!!! :rofl:

husband thought I was crazy at first. Mostly because we normally don't buy name brand anything. I made him watch a few shows. He's helped a bit looking for deals and coupons. He went out and bought me a new printer, the new kodak one, for my birthday because the ink for it is so cheap.......for printing coupons. HIS idea. lol

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Thank you... Will have to get this one!

Heck, if the cats like it, maybe I can get sister in law to get more...

flutterby

Fly away!
Ok. I think I have it worked out. I'm spending about the same, but I'm getting more so it will last longer. There are some good sales on things we use, and they are things that will keep. I'm not interested in stocking up on massive quantities of things. I don't want to abuse the system, just stretch my money.

DF, I have to make a specific list because I forget what I have or don't have. Which is why I now have 3 bottles of Kraft Low-Fat Italian House dressing in my fridge. One time we had 5 bottles of ketchup. And I'd never be able to keep up with coupons otherwise. My brain doesn't work like it used to.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Blinkies are coupons that are in little BLINKING machines that are in grocery store aisles - THEY BLINK - Usually you find them attached in front of items on sale or about to be on sale. Sometimes they are suction cupped in frozen food aisles.

((NOTICE))) when you see a blinkie - and it's for an items you will use? GET ONE OR TWO. THEN match THAT coupon with a Manufactures coupon - in a store that will let you use 'DOUBLE' coupons. Some will - some won't.

It is BETTER to use your coupons like this for items that are BOGO - or on sale - or in stores that will DOUBLE your coupons.

KNOW your stores COUPON POLICY - BECAUSE - KROGER does NOT double coupons. TARGET does NOT double COUPONS. FOOD LION does NOT double COUPONS. WalGreens and certain Drugstores won't take Piggyback coupons. You can go to most stores Websites and PRINT OUT their coupon policy. HOWEVER - be prepared to be nice at all times with any store manager over coupons - amounts you buy, using coupons etc.

If you go to Southern Savers .com - and look around on that web site? She explains it BRILLIANTLY on what the names of things are - how to get started etc. You will learn a LOT from her.

Another really organized gal I love? Is Collin - on www.Hip2save. She is phenominal. A little too organized for me - but she makes money and has three kids with a husband in the marines. So my hat is off to her.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok. Thanks for the blinkie thing.

Hmm. Our krogers doubles every day coupons under a dollar, will only double them to a dollar value though. Which for me.........is a very good thing. For our kroger's too as they probably wouldn't get the business they do if they didn't do this. Poor rural areas need coupons. I'm taking advantage of this tomorrow for a few things. And right now they're having a buy ten items get 5 bucks off deal......only a deal depending on what you buy. I have two items picked out I'm buying ten of......pastas and bbq sauce. I use a lot of both and it's cheaper than even aldi's.

easy child and I just did a 6-8 hr prep session. Had a lot of laughs, found a lot of superb deals. Things we USE. I'm going to get about 150.00 worth of stuff for around 50 bucks. Not bad my first trip out. But then my list was small to begin with. Extras I'm getting either work out to be free.......or they're going to give me store credit. Still things I use. I'm going to have issues ever crossing that line if I don't actually use the stuff. This with about 30 bucks off next purchases with the drug store cards, where the bulk of our couponing is being done this time.

I'm fortunate, we're small enough all our stores are basically right together down 2 streets. I can hit them all without even wasting gas.

My line in the sand about only getting stuff I use.......reigned in easy child a few times. husband and Travis should be very happy. Getting a lot of their personal hygiene stuff for next to nothing.....some of it worked out to nothing. Still trying to decide if one stores deal on friskies cat food is really a deal with the coupon I have.......sounds good but while I'm taking the coupons along........I may not take that one.

But we saw this is going to take practice, getting organized, but once we build up the coupon base I think it will be easier and we'll get better.

flutterby

Fly away!
Make sure your antivirus and malware programs are up to date when going to some of these sites - especially the ones that send you to another site. I got 4 viruses...my computer caught 2 immediately - it actually shut down my antivirus program, then I ran a scan and it caught 2 more.