Has anybody read this book...

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
Picked up a book at the library yesterday: "<u>Parenting your Out-Of-Control Teenager"</u> by Scott P. Sells, PH.D.

I picked it up because of one thing that caught my eye in the table of contents: How to deal with what he calls the "Teenager's Seven Aces", i.e. the seven nuclear weapons teens threaten to use when acting out as a difficult child. They are:
<ul>[*]Disrespect [*]Truancy [*]Running Away [*]Teen Pregnancy [*]Substance Abuse [*]Violence [*]Suicide Threats [/list]
difficult child's seem to be born with these seven deadly bullets in their emotional guns, and instinctively know exactly how to use them.

:grrr:

He also claims to have ways to address or counter these "seven aces". My son has already used two of them against us: running away and substance abuse. It seems like other parents have been nuked by combinations of the other seven aces as well.

I was intrigued, so I checked the book out. Also, most of the other books recommended or suggested seem to deal with younger difficult child's, where parents have a little more power (and time) to work through the issues than I do (difficult child will be 18 in six months).

I haven't read it yet - just starting. But I was curious if anyone has read it, and if any of his suggested action plans have actually been successful for someone here. Anybody?

Thanks,
Mikey

LittleDudesMom

I haven't read it yet Mikey, not an issue here ...... yet :crazy:. Hope you find some good information and practical advise.

Sharon

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #663366"> i haven't, but i've heard people mention it.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

house of cards

I haven't read it either but my difficult child has had problems with 5 of them already. He is not into drugs and not pregnant...but then again he is only 8 and a boy. Let me know what you thing of it.

neednewtechnique

Hmm, I believe that our difficult child's therapist recommended this one the first time that our difficult child threatened to kill herself. I have not read it yet, but it does come highly recommended. Please, let me know how you like it. I am interested to check it out if some parents think it is worth it.

Katy-Did

I ordered it yesterday along with a couple other ones. Things have been spiraling out of control with difficult child lately. I haven't posted but have been checking in for inspiration from you all.

Thanks for being here, it means alot!

I will let you know what I think after I read them.

Kathy

Katy-Did

I ordered it yesterday along with a couple other ones. Things have been spiraling out of control with difficult child lately. I haven't posted but have been checking in for inspiration from you all.

Thanks for being here, it means alot!

I will let you know what I think after I read them.

Kathy