Has anyone ever had a Dutch Baby?

4PawsSake

Yumm, I love Allrecipes, used it to make Mac n cheese tonight for the first time. It was okay, needs tweaking tho!

Wendy
Frustrated but hopeful

DammitJanet

I love Mac n Cheese but it isnt something I would need a recipe for...lol. I make it several different ways...one very laid back and one a bit fancier.

This Dutch Baby was even better the second time around. I read through some of the reviews and took away the ideas to do the eggs and milk at room temp, use skim or lowfat milk and to always start the butter in the screaming hot pan.

I hope we have Monkey this weekend because this little brunch item will make a wonderful item to eat the hour or two before our afternoon swim! The girls will love it. I dress the whole sucker up with powdered sugar, sliced strawberries, and whipped cream.

susiestar

Roll With It
I ADORE these!!! They are a favorite treat but that recipe is overly complicated. I put the butter in a pie pan or cake pan (can use skillet too, but I used to have a tiny oven that the skillet didn't fit into) and put it into the oven to melt. I just dumped all the milk, eggs, spices into a bowl and beat with a fork for very little time (way under a minute - maybe 10-15 seconds?) then I dumped in the dry ingredients and stirred until mixed - again for a short time, as short as possible. Take the pan of now melted butter out of oven (don't let it burn even if you have to get it out before you are done mixing), pour in batter and bake. I don't do the high heat that you then turn down because the temp is at the lower temp by the time you put the dutch baby in it.

These are a yummy treat I had forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder! You can often find recipes for this under other names - oven pancake, german oven pancake, german pancake, etc... My great grandmother used to put very thinly sliced apples in the butter and let it cook in the pan as she mixed up the batter. I remember being in awe of how thin her slices were and how fast she cut them. I tend to just serve with either chunky applesauce, fried apples or applesauce if I don't want syrup on them.