Has anyone ever had a Tenotomy or a Tenodesis?

Wiped Out

Staff member
I have to have one of these two procedures done and am wondering if anyone here has ever had one. One has a 3 month recovery and the other a 6 month recovery. My surgeon said the one most people have is a Tenotomy and that mostly body builders or 75 pound women have the Tenodesis.

However, then I was talking with a friend who almost had to have one last year when she had shoulder surgery. Her doctor said the same thing as mine but her physical therapist said absolutely to have the Tenodesis because the other one limits your range of motion-ugh-so confusing!

Anyone had either?

SuZir

Haven't had either of those, nor has anyone close to me. But at this age, when I still plan to have decades of active live left, I would really question an operation, that (almost) surely leaves me with limited function, if there is an option for an operation that can give me better function. Even if the recovery is longer and rehab harder. If there is limited function, you will live with it rest of your life. 3 months more recovery and maybe tougher rehab feels rather small thing compared to that.

I would find few physiotherapist to talk with and ask about rehab and long term functionality. Surgeons don't tend to be the best people to care about 'slight' loss of long term functionality.