Has anyone ever tried...

tiredmommy

to make bird feeders using pine cones, string, honey and birdseed? I'm thinking of doing this as our craft for Brownies next week. I've seen recipes online that use peanut butter, but we have a girl with a peanut allergy.
Any insight?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
How about vegetable shortening? I think honey will be very messy, because it's so much softer than peanut butter. A lot of people put our suet in their bird feeders and that's basically just fat. I'm thinking the vegetable shortening has a similar consistency to peanut butter but is basically a fat. I am not sure, of course, but I'm thinking it would be fine.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tiredmommy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You mean something like Crisco? </div></div>

Yes. I don't think it would be harmful to the birds. If you have a feed and grain store nearby that sells bird food, or farming supplies, I bet they'd know!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
TM,

Birds love suet - fat of any kind. (Really attracts the nuthatches, woodpeckers, blue jays, flickers, etc.) I put out suet feeders all year long; generally it's the suet cakes with some type of bird seed mixed in & formed into squares. I then hang them out in a square feeder that the squirrels supposedly cannot destroy.