Has anyone had an allergic reaction to 3M...

tiredmommy

transpore surgical tape? Duckie had one last Saturday (it secured her mic in place) and I'm hoping it's NOT a latex allergy. We go for RAST testing next month.

seriously

most likely culprit in our experience is the adhesive used on that particular kind/brand of tape

what kind of reaction did Duckie have exactly?

tiredmommy

That's my understanding as well, however, I've also heard that the actual tape must be latex-free but the adhesives can still contain trace amounts or derivatives. I guess I'll be calling 3M....

tiredmommy

She developed a very large hive on her cheek in the exact shape of the tape. She had a smaller hive on the back of her neck securing the wire (it also matched the shape). She said it was immediately itchy, but she tried ignored it.... brought it to an adult's attention by the end of act 1 because it felt warm and swollen. They found me in the crowd at intermission (within a few minutes) and had removed the tape & cleaned the area but the hives began to spread. There were a very deep, angry red. Almost purple. I immediately dosed her with Benadryl and they started to recede within a few minutes. Duckie said her throat was a little scratchy/tickly but I'm not sure that wasn't nerves. The redness has stayed clear and the swelling has gone down as of Sunday afternoon.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:holymoly: Yikes! That's pretty bad.

difficult child 2 gets a reaction from most bandaid adhesives. Let me know if you find something for sensitive skin -- I looked around my local drugstore and couldn't find any.

Glad the Benedryl worked!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The most likely culprit is the adhesive since the tape is supposed to be latex free. But with that bad a reaction, I'd be checking for both just in case.

I have both.....allergy to most adhesives and a latex allergy (thanks to too many surgeries/hospital stays). Not fun.

Hugs

nvts

That's why the patch for smoking didn't work for me...after the first week I looked like a checkerboard! It was the adhesive in the patch.

Glad she was ok! It would certainly stink if she worked that hard for the play and then couldn't continue! Way to go Duckie! The Show Went On! Warrior Actress!

Beth

keista

That sounds like what happened to DD1. She loved playing with bandages so they never stayed on long, but the first time she kept one on for a full 24 hours, it was on her face and caused a rash. The rash lasted about 2 weeks. I just assumed it was the adhesive that had the latex in it and caused the rash.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have a mild allergy to the adhesive in almost all tape. When I worked retail and had to open boxes I was covered with hives, but most were localized on my hands and arms - the parts that were most exposed.

Nexcare bandages, the foam kind, are great - they stay - and for some reason their adhesive does not bother me. May be worth a try?

susiestar

Roll With It
It sounds like either the adhesive is the problem or it is a combination of adhesive and whatever the material in the tape is. Testing is good, but you also need to find some type of tape that won't cause a problem. One of J's friends when we lived in OH was allergic to almost everything. Her mother found that the only tape they could use for bandages was masking tape. They tried all the medical tapes and she reacted, but she got into a roll of masking tape and had no problems. So from then on her mom carried a roll of masking tape everywhere, kept it with gauze pads in the kit with her benadryl and epipen and also put a roll in her medicine kit at school (plastic box with her medications in the office) because putting a bandaid on the little girl gave a bad enough reaction to need the epipen and 911 call. At one point the girl ended up in the hospital for some surgery and her mom insisted on them using the masking tape - surgeon had a fit at first until he was an idiot and tried reg tape and caused a reaction.

At a point when she is otherwise stable, medically, try a small piece of some type of tape on her skin. Take it off right away if a problem happens, but it is important to find some type of tape to be able to use if she ever needs IVs or something.

Does that vet wrap stuff have latex in it, or cause a reaction? I know they sell it for people, it is stretchy and sticks to itself but not to skin or clothes. The lab where my doctor has bloodwork done has switched to using that instead of bandaids because so many people have problems. It is a lot cheaper at the farm and home type stores (like Tractor Supply, etc...) than at the drugstore, and it also comes in a lot of different colors than tan if you get it at the farm and home store. We love it - it is great for support for a sore ankle, etc... if you can't find an ace bandage, and if you can't find clips for the ace bandage you can use a lenght of vet wrap to go all the way around to hold the ace bandage in place.

Sorry she has to deal with all of this!

InsaneCdn

The challenge is... this was clear tape - used to support the microphone for Duckie's performance.
So, while many of the ideas suggested are good for normal "health care" issues... it may be a tough one to find something else that will work for future microphones.

tiredmommy

I think I'll patch test her after the rast is done... we may be able to use bandaids or an alternate tape if I can find a brand that works.

tiredmommy

They're over-the-ear mics, so no. At least the production is over so we have a few months to figure out alternatives....

tiredmommy

Step- You can see the mic on her face because I'm using a picture from Saturday as my profile picture on FB (before the reaction started)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hmmmmm.... Spirit gum? Rubber cement? Bubble Yum?

OK, I'm getting silly, but... Wow. I'd check with the pharmacist... They know lots of stuff that might work.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Oldest has pretty bad reactions to tape/adhesive, she uses paper tape when she has to. That might not work on a mic, though.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My sister in law is a nurse in the OB dept and they stick tiny little pink bows on the heads of the newborn girls. They use (ready?) KY jelly. It gets sticky when it dries. Not sure it would be sticky enough to hold a mic, but I'd bet there are options.

FWIW, Wee is allergic to that tape, too. And bandaids. We use vet wrap and gauze pads on everything now.