Has anyone in Canada had experience with Biphentin?

gingy

Hi, I am wondering if anyone in Canada has had any good/bad experiences with Biphentin for ADHD symptoms. My little guy is 8 and we've tried Straterra, with not great results. We are on short acting Ritalin right now, on a very small dose and it is working well except for the rebound after school. Concerta is at too high a dose for him, since he is so sensitive to medications. I would love to find a longer acting form, so after school and evenings wouldn't be so hard for him, and so we are looking at Biphentin, as suggested by his psychiatrist.

smallworld

Hi, I don't have experience with Biphentin because it's not available in the US, but I looked it up. It is long-acting methylphenidate, the same ingredient found in Ritalin and Concerta. It lasts about 8 to 10 hours. It seems to have more dosing flexibility than Concerta. In addition, it is a capsule that can be opened up and sprinkled in food in case your child can't swallow pills.

If Ritalin works well, but you want a longer-acting version, Biphentin seems like a logical option. Unfortunately, medications are a trial and error process, and the only way you're going to know how it's going to work is if you try.

Good luck with your decision.

Pandabear

Hi, I don't have experience with Biphentin because it's not available in the US, but I looked it up. It is long-acting methylphenidate, the same ingredient found in Ritalin and Concerta. It lasts about 8 to 10 hours. It seems to have more dosing flexibility than Concerta. In addition, it is a capsule that can be opened up and sprinkled in food in case your child can't swallow pills.

If Ritalin works well, but you want a longer-acting version, Biphentin seems like a logical option. Unfortunately, medications are a trial and error process, and the only way you're going to know how it's going to work is if you try.

Good luck with your decision.

My daughter was on biphentin, It worked wonderful. They slowly raised her dosage. She had no side effects. Now she is on concerta & I hate this drug. Since she has been on concerta she has been moody, insomnia, attitude, etc. I am going back to the doctor to put her back on biphentin. Good luck!

T

TeDo

Welcome Pandabear. If the Biphentin was working so well, why did the psychiatrist change it to Concerta? That makes no sense to me. You should start a thread of your own and introduce yourself, your family and what you are dealing with to us.

If what Smallworld found is correct, it sounds like a good choice. I also agree with her that it is always trial and error with medications. Welcome back Gingy. You should stick around. We would like to get to know you better.

InsaneCdn

Concerta is superior in terms of even coverage - Biphentin is essentially one pill that delivers 2 doses - second one about 4 hours after the first. Basically no different than Ritalin given at breakfast and lunch.
We found we still had major rebound effect with Biphentin. This one, and Concerta, and Ritalin, are all the same chemical composition, just a different delivery mechanism.

Note: if its after school thats a problem, its possible to give a small boster-dose of Ritalin right after school, to help with the evening.

C

Canadiangirl

Hi, I am also in Canada. I have no experience with Biphentin but have tried Adderal and Concerta for my daughter (starting at age 13, she is now 15) but the best thing we have found is Vyvanse, relatively new to Canada. She experienced large drop in weight, moodiness, couldn't sleep and did not get the full benefit on the Adderal and Concerta. We then went to Vyvanse over a year ago and she will tell you that she is "normal" on this medication and will not try anything else. She is positive this medication helps a lot and I have seen nothing but good effects and we have seen little side effects. I am sure like all medications this one works for some people and not others but just wanted to let you know of a new one.

InsaneCdn

Pandabear - that sounds strange, because Concerta, Biphentin, and Ritalin are all the same chemicals... just a different delivery mechanism. So... maybe it's not possible to fine-tune the dose enough for your daughter to use Concerta - Concerta does come in fairly major jumps.

NOTE: its also possible to use a lower dose of Concerta, and supplement with a bit of regular Ritalin...

Canada

My 9 year old son was put on Biphentin for characteristics of ADHD but not diagnosed as of yet. His schooling was going downhill so we gave in and tried it. I've heard it does work for some kids. We went from 10 mg to 15mg to 20 mg. From the 15 - 20mg he started doing a little improvement with attention but also started getting wicked headaches, nausea, said he was even seeing things in late evenings. With the headaches alone we are now taking him off the biphentin and kinda scared to try anything else. So didn't do so well for him, not saying it couldn't for someone else but too many side effects for my guy.