Has anyone noticed a correlation between early blooming and our kids?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am just wondering. I think some of you have talked about puberty and all of that fun stuff.
But I was wondering if any of our kids issues go in tandem with early growth, early puberty? Any Early developmental things?
I started my period when I was 9... horrible.I don't know when I started losing my teeth, but I think it was young.

K has lost 8 teeth so far and she lost all of them over a year ago, from 4.5 to 6 or so she has also got in her big molars.

Now N has her first tooth lose! She just turned 4.
I just wonder if their bodies maturing and developing has something to with genetics or also our family Mental Illness.
I just read an article on Fragile X, and how they are finding that it effects so many more areas in each person and each family member.

Just curious... any one else see anything like this? We have avoided GMO's, not tons of soy... they say that can affect hormone levels.
Is this just my female side of the family? Young and crazy??? :laugh:
TIA

smallworld

We are the exact opposite. My girls, in particular, are very late bloomers.

A turned 13 in February. She has just started puberty. We don't expect her to get her period until age 15. She is tiny -- just 4'5".

M just turned 10. She has not started puberty in any way, shape or form. She has lost 7 teeth. She is also tiny -- just 3'11".

Just like mental illness, I think puberty and developmental patterns are determined very much by genetics.

jannie

trying to survive....
My younger difficult child (the one that brought me here !!!) is an early bloomer. He also lost about 8 teeth prior to kindergarten, is taller that his 2 1/2 year older brother and is showing early signs of puberty...but my 11 year old is slightly behind in those things....

Interesting observation....

LittleDudesMom

easy child was an early bloomer. difficult child is basically right on time, or I guess a better way to put it is average. So, no I can't say there is a correlation in my family.

Sharon

TerryJ2

Yes, my difficult child started getting hair (other than on his head) between 9 & 10. He's always been a testosterone-kind-of-boy. :) I think there is an endocrine link, but we've never had him tested. I think once he's into his late teens, it will all even out.

KTMom91

Miss KT was pretty average, I'd say. When I was in school for my credential, a guest speaker (a medical doctor) said he believed early puberty was somehow related to fluorescent lighting, because overall children are maturing earlier than in previous generations. I think better overall nutrition, medical care, etc. has more to do with it than lighting, but it may play a part. I don't think there's been a definitive study on his theory.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Who knows... our new psychiatrist had another interesting observation. She said for her puberty with her kids was easy, due to the mania they experienced prior to puberty beginning. She said she has seen many kids and parents able to deal with puberty so much better because they have "already seen" and "done" it all! Of course this is not always the case... drugs, sex etc. She was mainly talking about the rages and how they tend to even out. So I have that to look forward to!!! Something... :)

Wiped Out

Staff member
My difficult child is 11 and hasn't really started puberty yet. Don't know yet whether he is average or a late bloomer.

Marguerite

difficult child 3 is definitely a late bloomer. I don't think he's lost all his baby teeth yet (he was very late beginning to lose them, too) and still hasn't got all his 12 year molars. He's been growing pubic hair for a couple of years and his top lip is JUST starting to get slightly darker hair on it. The pubic hair - that was funny. He didn't know what it was, thought it was abnormal and was plucking it out. easy child 2/difficult child 2 caught him with the tweezers, asked him what he was doing and he told her. So we had to sit him down AGAIN and tell him that pubic hair is a normal part of development; it's OK. He was both relieved and angry - angry that he'd been getting anxious and spending all that time tweezing, when it was normal!

I wonder if the early starters are more likely to be difficult children due to the hormones zinging around the bodies of younger (and less socially capable) kids? In other words, a kid is difficult child-like BECAUSE of the early puberty and difficulty coping with the hormonal upheavals.

Marg

busywend

My difficult child was early with everything. Crawling, walking, running, talking, losing teeth, adding numbers (although Math became her problem in school), colors, reading, etc.

Then it all came to a screeching halt and she started going backwards it seems.