Has anyone tried Attend for ADHD?

Sharon1974

I just ordered Attend. I thought I would try it. Has anyone had any experience with this or any other natural remedy for ADHD?

Sharon1974

We would have to drive over an hour to see a homeopath and our insurance will not pay for it. They are very expensive and unfortunatly we don't have the money. If there was any way we could get it, we would go - but that is not in the list of possibilities right now.

mum2JK&TH

Sharon - I just posted a question about this in the other forum. How did it work for your difficult child? We are really concerned about putting him on medications with all the side effects that he's had and stumbled onto an article about Attend. Would you recommend it?

Sharon1974

We are very happy with the Attend. It took a couple of weeks to really start working, and we have had to play with the dose a little.

It does NOT work like a stimulant. JK has been happy for the first time in his life since he started taking it. His sensory problems seem to have diminished, he is getting along with other kids better. He is still a little hyperactive and impulsive, although improvement is noted. The stimulants worked better with hyperactivity and impulsiveness - but he never ate, slept, and had kind off a flat personality on them. His doctor thought maybe he was depressed, but he is better now that he stopped the Adderall.

Hope I answered your questions.

candi8616

I am brand new to this forum, I actually ran across it searching for any information from users of Attend, and my 11 yr. old daughter just recently met criteria for ADHD. She has been in the talented and gifted program since 1st grade and I was always told by teachers, "She is displaying characteristics of a gifted student". But, I knew different, so here we are. I am overwhelmed with information I have read online and scared of the prescription drugs that doctors use. Her dr. said he uses adderal, straterra, concerta and focalin. I want to research these medications first so I decided to go ahead with Attend and wait on the drugs. Our doctor alerted me to the fact that Attend contains pregnenolone, which is a steriod. The VAXA website makes no mention of pregnenolone being a steriod (or related to)so this concerns me. I am searching for help from anyone. I would like to know what you have to say about Attend. Is it safe for our children and just how much pregnenolone is in each dose. The way I understand it is since it is not regulated by the FDA, labels aren't required to give you this information. Our dr. says my daughter is mild, impulsive ADHD. She is very creative, has extremely sensitive hearing and is distracted by anything and everything. The interesting thing about all of this is she has managed to compensate for this through the years without having low grades or behavior problems. I was told it would take about 3 weeks to see results with Attend, I will report with results. Oh, what does difficult child mean?

Welcome! You can find the answers to your questions about acronyms and such in the FAQ section.
I always recommend getting professional help to prescribe alternative medications for a child. You could consult an herbalist, homeopath, naturopath, etc. I also have a lot of concerns about giving potent psychiatric drugs to young children with developing brains. Have you taken your child to a psychotherapist who specializes in ADHD or considered neurofeedback? They are both effective. Does she have any dietary triggers or allergies?
Vaxa has extensive information about pregnenolone on their site:
"Pregnenolone is an all natural hormone (steroid) produced in the mitochondria of healthy adrenal glands, liver, skin, brain, testicles, ovaries and the retina of the eyes. Made from cholesterol in the body. Pregnenolone actually helps to stimulate its own synthesis, so taking an extra supplement does not interfere, but actually helps, in its own natural production. Enzymes convert pregnenolone into either progesterone of DHEA (pregnenolone is the real "mother" hormone, as it is its chemical precursor), depending on the immediate needs of the body. The need of pregnenolone increases as we grow older, or the more often we are sick. Depressed patients have been found to have abnormally low levels of pregnenolone, as well as those that suffer from rheumatoid arthritis.Pregnenolone acts on NMDA (N-methyl-D-Aspartate) receptors which directly affect learning and memory by regulating the function the synapses between the neurons. Researchers report that pregnenolone is several hundred times more potent than any memory enhancer that has been used before. Pregnenolone appears to restore normal levels of memory hormones which decline during aging. Drugs that block cholesterol formation may in fact detrimentally block pregnenolone production thus interfering with memory and other brain function. Pregnenolone seems to have the ability of repairing the enzymes in the cytochrome P-450 system which are directly responsible for converting cholesterol into pregnenolone. Pregnenolone also appears to protect against the ravages of cortisone activity, which can decrease beta cell damage. Pregnenolone also seems to protect against "addison disease" symptoms from adrenal atrophy."

There is a homeopathic hypothalamus listed: "Hypothalamus Used as a Micro-Nutritional Homeopathic potency (animal product). (Homeopathic potencies accredit their strength and efficacy to the electromagnetic signatures of the original substrate; these are scientifically created dilutions and succussions of medicines such that generally not even a molecule of the original substrate or medicine is present in the medicine). As a Homeopathic or used simply as a micro-nutritional, it has demonstrated effectiveness against the following symptomology: appetite retardant (Tetau); -appetite retardant (Tetau)."

candi8616

Thanks for the information!! I will go to the professional you suggested for treating with alternative medications. We did go to a (new) pediatrician. for my daughter and he is the one that told me about Pregnenolone being a steriod and that is why I am so concerned. You asked about dietary triggers, what exactly do you mean by this? She does take Claritin for allergies. I did overlook the information on VAXA wesite about Pregnenolone (sorry VAXA). All this is overwhelming and my goal is to do what is best for my daughter. For now, we are on day 7 taking Attend 3 times a day. So far nothing, I realize it will take at least 3 weeks. So, if anyone has information on Attend, tell me about it. I going to have to figure out how this website works, everyone has such fancy endings and signature lines.

Sharon1974

I found Attend to take several weeks to work as well. The results are not as dramatic as a stimulant (in our experience) but I have definitly noticed improvment, as have friends of the family, neighbors, and even the school!!

JK also does not have stimulant side effects on the Attend. In the past he had NO appetite (and lost a considerable amount of weight), he could not sleep, he was irritable, and showing signs of depression. Once we stopped the stimulants and started the Attend, it all went away. He is gaining weight (about a pound a month), he is so happy, sleeps pretty well at night. I couldn't be happier.

Like I said, we did talk to his doctor before starting the Attend. He has talked about recommending it to other patients because JK has done so well on it. We give it to him 2X per day.