Hating my mother right now...

Alisonlg

So, yesterday while M was on the couch vomitting all day while on a 24 hr holiday from his Seroquel in hopes solving his urinary retention issues, I spent the day trying to prep him for starting school today. Of course, he was not having it and I was trying to come up with a bribe that would sound worthy enough.

My mother came up with the bribe that if he went to school today, he could sleep over her house and go to Chuck E Cheese's. At first he wouldn't agree to the deal, but then she was stupid enough to say, "IF YOU'RE FEELING BETTER" in the deal and he happily agreed and promised he would go to school.

:grrr:

OF COURSE he was going to wake up this morning and say he's still not feeling well. I am just livid. He's also refusing his medications...which is only going to make him sicker (and more oppositional). And, wouldn't you know it, we have our second appointment with the psychiatrist from h-e-double hockey sticks today?!?!? And I'll have my 3 yr old in tow at this appointment...if M puts up a fight, I don't know how I'll manage both of them. Grant me the serenity...

Marguerite

Sometimes grandparents just don't understand. They think we're evil monsters to send our kids to school when they say they feel sick. Then they accuse us of turning the kid into a hypochondriac and letting him make a fuss about being sick. You can't win.

Your difficult child sounds like he's really anxious. difficult child 3 also couldn't produce any useful work at school, despite being extremely bright. Now he's home he works really well. OK, he still worries about feeling sick - he checked his temperature four times today - but at least he's doing his schoolwork.

Marg

Alisonlg

3 hrs into this rage...I knew I should have bought ear plugs at the pharmacy the other day. It would have done me a world of good. Gee...I wonder why I have a migraine today?

If medication refusal continues, I fear we may be headed towards psychiatric admit #3.

Ok...off to take some migraine medications and to restrain the child who is now trashing my living room. Please send any positive energy you have my way...it's going to be a long day...I don't know what I'll do when my 3 yr old comes home.

Steely

Many, many hugs Alison.....you and your boy have been through so much these past weeks. I am thinking those positive thoughts - and hoping your son will calm down soon.

smallworld

Alison, sorry you're having such a rough day.

I know you think the psychiatrist is an idiot, but you might want to consider his advice to ditch the Strattera and up the Seroquel. Seroquel should help with both raging and anxiety, at least in the short term.

Hugs to you.

Alisonlg

Except upping the Seroquel seems to cause urinary retention. LOL And while he's better, the problem still isn't 100% resolved.

I'll ditch the Strattera, I guess, even though I'm not convinced it's hurting (I still say I've seen an improvement with him on it).

And, of course, upping the Seroquel did not help with the out of the blue rage we saw this weekend. Go figure.

Seems to me we may be missing a medication.

I finally got him to take his medications this morning around 10 or 11-something and now he's napping on the couch. But BOY OH BOY the stuff he was muttering to himself while he was all worked up in his room this morning! WOW! That boy has some bottled up stuff, let me tell you! I just sat outside the door and listened. I'm relieved to say the things he muttered about me were trivial...that was a relief. At least as horrible as he thinks I am, he really doesn't think I'm THAT bad. LOL

Here's to hoping we get to the psychiatrist in one piece and C doesn't drive me totally mad in the process! :::crossing fingers and toes and everything else I've got:::

Steely

Good luck at the doctor today!
I hope he tries to put him on a mood stabilizer - because you are right Seroquel is not going to do 100% of the trick as it is just a calming agent not something that will manage the mood changes.
Keep us posted!

smallworld

Sequoia, with all due respect, this is a child who hasn't even been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He's only been diagnosed with ODD, a condition for which there are no medications. Raging is not synonymous with BiPolar (BP). Raging can accompnay anxiety, depression, Autism Spectrum Disorder, etc. The treatment and medications are different for each disorder. From Alison's description, it sounds as if her difficult child has anxiety. What else he has is anyone's guess. in my humble opinion, Alison needs to push the doctors for an evaluation that gets her difficult child closer to a true diagnosis. From that diagnosis, the medications will follow. I think it's irresponsible at this point to say he needs a mood stabilizer. The only reason I suggested the Strattera be ditched is because it's only rxed for ADHD, and her difficult child hasn't even been diagnosed with ADHD. Furthermore, it can cause mood swings and irritability even in kids without BiPolar (BP). Seroquel, over the short term, is rxed for anxiety and raging (in addition to hallucinations).

Steely

My apologies smallworld and Alison - I hope, instead, the Dr is able to devote 100% of his time and energy in finding the proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

((((Allison))))

Sending as much good vibes as I can work up over here. I know that there are times I want to kick my mom square in her gulo for something she says, too. Most of the time, she means well.

Hugs and prayers.