Have Questions About difficult child 2 and school - Help please!

DancerMom

Hi all,

difficult child 2 is now 11. He's 5th grade, Advance Placement and Scholars. We have had some major issues with him since school started this year. He seemed to be having major meltdowns at school between 2-2:30. Not everyday either. He takes 36 mg. Concerta in am, 18 mg. at school and 750 mg. of Depakote at night. He is not ADD/ADHD, has been tested and tested. What he is (finally getting a proper diagnosis) is possibly Asperger's and definetly has Sensory Intergretion Disorder. We began Occupational Therapist (OT) about 3 weeks ago and are going 2x/week. I have been amazed by what I have told doctors for YEARS and what I have been told is/are the real reasons he is having problems.

My questions are these:

1 - Are children with- IEP's and 501's treated differently or "labeled". Does this type of plan actually help your child or cause that child more heartache?

2. Can we do the SI Diet during school hours on difficult child (if I do it)from now to end of school with-out IEP?

and finally,

3. Anyone know the rights of a difficult child with these issues when he is in a intergrated classroom with BH and TH children that intensify the auditory and sensory defecits? I can explain more if necessary.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated. I am clueless!!!!

Anna

Sheila

1) Our children usually "label" themselves by their academic difficulties or behavior problems long before they qualify for an IEP or 504. Their IEP or 504 is suppose to contain accommodations and/or supports that help them in school. Most kids with-disabilities remain in regular classroom settings.

2) Probably not, but check with your school officials.

3) Unless your child has a 504 or IEP, legally the sd doesn't have to do anything to address these issues.

Martie

In addition to the questions you asked and Sheila answered, there is another reason to want an IEP in place before a difficult child leaves elementary school and that is the LEGAL protection against arbitrary discipline.

Based on the Adult Outcomes study, the EXPULSION (not suspension) rate was 11% for grade school and an astounding 20% for h.s. students. it is clear that in some SD, the preferred Tx for our children is to get rid of them. Special Education qualification and a well constructed IEP with BIP makes it very difficult for a SD to unload a kid and legally impossible to actually expel. This is one of the cheapest "insurance" policies around.

Martie