Have you had your Difficult Child arrested.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
As a former 2-pack a day smoker who is showing the very first signs of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). (It's kind of inevitable in my case; I started at 14 and quit 3.5 years ago.) I cringe at this.

Oddly, they haven't found proof that marijuana causes long term lung damage, but...using a bong, one inhales MUCH more deeply than one does when smoking a cigarette, holding the smoke allows much more nicotine to be absorbed, and deposits much more "tar" in the lungs. (It's the "tar" that causes lung damage.)

I also suspect these kids may be using pipe tobacco, which has a much higher nicotine content than cigarette tobacco, and also produces much more and more irritating "tars".

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
As a former 2-pack a day smoker who is showing the very first signs of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)). (It's kind of inevitable in my case; I started at 14 and quit 3.5 years ago.) I cringe at this.

Oddly, they haven't found proof that marijuana causes long term lung damage, but...using a bong, one inhales MUCH more deeply than one does when smoking a cigarette, holding the smoke allows much more nicotine to be absorbed, and deposits much more "tar" in the lungs. (It's the "tar" that causes lung damage.)

I also suspect these kids may be using pipe tobacco, which has a much higher nicotine content than cigarette tobacco, and also produces much more and more irritating "tars".
They use the harshest cigarette available and are taking huge hits from the bong and there is no filter so straight in. It is going to and probably has caused irreparable damage.

Littleboylost

Oh and let him get a court appointed attorney. Don't pay a dime for it LBL.
In Canada we have Duty Coucil available at the court....he is too good for the deal they cut him which is charge of one count instead of two, no fine no jail time and 18 months probation. So he has gone the route of applying for legal aid ....he will be refused and they will provide him with a refusal ticket. He is not facing jail time so no legal aid. He will then waste time in court getting the courts to appoint him a lawyer, as he is a youth the court can and most likely will do this. All the while wasting time, and having to report into bail coordinator from a youth support group. He is delaying probation as long as possible because it will mean mandatory drug testing. So sad too bad. And if he is stupid enough to fight the charges he will face 2 counts, a fine and possibly trafficking charges as well. His life not my worry.

PatriotsGirl

I worked with the courts after my daughter was arrested to keep her locked up for her entire pregnancy. I don't regret a thing - best thing I ever did and she thanks me for it today. It is what started the journey to her going to a long term treatment program and becoming the incredible woman she is today.

Littleboylost

I worked with the courts after my daughter was arrested to keep her locked up for her entire pregnancy. I don't regret a thing - best thing I ever did and she thanks me for it today. It is what started the journey to her going to a long term treatment program and becoming the incredible woman she is today.
The youth act in Canada is extremely liberal and it will be a very long process for us to see our son Faced with any form of probation no jail time, once his case is in to court. He has asked for 2 extensions and has been declined legal aid. We aren't paying for a lawyer. The courts will appoint one for him he will either be smart and plead the deal he was given by the crown or he will try to fight this and lose. Once on probation there will be mandatory drug testing. He will then have to fly straight or face jail time or a diversion to in house rehab if it is offered. Until then he is on bail reporting and out patient rehab. No drug testing.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Well that will take care of things, his choice.

Our son is on probation and sadly they never drug test, pay and go. Broken system. If you don't show, then your found and charged.

PiscesMom

My son was 14 when I called the police on him. Since he was so young, they housed him at a shelter until he got into an altercation (he was being harassed by another kid, they said, but still) and then he was put into JDC.
There was a lot leading up to my call - the girls and I were living in hell. And the police around our city sure knew who he was.
It was not easy. But there was no other way to get help.

Littleboylost

The youth act in Canada is rediculous. Unless they kill someone they refuse to lock them up. If you refuse them bail a charity organization will bail youth out or they let them out on their own recognizance.
The government shut down almost all youth incarceration facilities indicating it did not do your any good to lock them up....I think his was a cost cutting measure to be honest. All they teach them is that they are above the law can act up and break the law and suffer very little consequences for it. By the time Difficult Child goes to court 8 times in over a year, working the system, he will wind up with a slap on the wrist and probation. All for stealing our car, selling drugs from our home and being caught with weed and cocaine. If nothing our lax laws are teaching them how to become career criminals.

Pattylin1

The heaviest cross I bear with guilt is that we had our Difficult Child arrested. This was after 4 years of struggling with him and his drug use. From not making a big deal and hoping it would pass to smashing bongs and chasing groups of pot smoking idiots out of our home. We did not do it without fair warning. He was caught selling drugs from our home. He ran and 2 weeks later begged to come home. Once home with a living at home contract in place, 3 days in he had drugs (was still selling). We called the police. He is now facing 2 Charges of possession. He wants a lawyer to fight charges and I say not a hope in hell am I paying for a lawyer for you. He will not qualify for legal aid and as a youth, he has access to Duty counsel and the courts may well appoint him a lawyer free of charge. It some times really cuts me up that we did this. But we didn't have much choice.
I had my daughter arrested last week...I do not feel guilty for doing so. Like some others here...I had rather see her in jail than dead....So please don't feel guilty...You did the right thing.

Coralchet1

My son was arrested and jailed at 13.. he was out of control and we're within the Canadian law system and they agreed jail would put fear into him. It didn't scare him once he got there, but he sure listened to the judge!

Littleboylost

My son was arrested and jailed at 13.. he was out of control and we're within the Canadian law system and they agreed jail would put fear into him. It didn't scare him once he got there, but he sure listened to the judge!
Where the heck are you in Canada? In Ontario they refuse to lock up youth. No matter what our son does the let him out on bail.

Littleboylost

I'm in Ontario as well
I wish they had have kept my son locked up. They let him out on bail with the John Howard society holding his bail. He has since breached the conditions of his bail numerous times and they do not refund his bail. It is resiculius.