Have you heard of a NOOB?

N

Nomad

What in the world?
There is such a thing as a NOOB? Folks who go on the internet to learn, yet ANNOY:crazy1: folks? I am a bit confused by this rather lengthy explanation. Can someone explain this in a way so that folks over 40 (shhhh) can understand! LOL!
p.s. One thought I had: NOOB: Not On Our Board ('cause it doesn't really sound like a good thing)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob

edit:

Well, I thought noob meant newbie, but I guess according to the urban dictionary, I was wrong.

The noob on a board would be the one that is referred to when you say there is one in every crowd. The most annoying person on the board. Have you heard of "1337 speak?" It is substituting similar (or not so similar) letters or numbers for the correct ones in a word. 1337 is lEEt. lEEt speak. So dumb. Noobs love to use it.

If you were to read Craigslist's Rants and Raves section, you would be inundated with noobs. This is a caring website with a purpose; I don't think there are any noobs here.

SRL

I think Wikipedia explains it better. Newb is a newcomer, but the variant spellings are derogatory.

Wikipedia:
"Newbie" can be used as a term to identify newcomers to a game, place, or organization. The variant spellings of "newbie" are also used, especially in online games and gaming forums, as a catch-all insult regardless of the recipient's actual skill or experience. Someone who acts like a "newbie," but isn't one would be referred to as one of the variant spellings. The variant "noob" has become common in spoken English by juveniles. Alternate spellings include "newb", "n00b", "noob", "nooblet", "nub", "nib", and the recently popular "nublet" and "nubcake". These alternate spellings of the term, other than "newb," inherit the definition of "newbie" but are generally used in a derogatory manner to indicate uselessness because of the ignorance associated with being a newcomer.
In some online games, usually MMORPGs, a greater distinction may be made between a "newb" and a "noob." The common consensus is that a "newb" is someone who through their very nature of being a new player is inexperienced and naive to particular gaming mechanics or etiquette, whereas a "noob" usually refers to an experienced player who blatantly disregards rules and etiquette. Sometimes it can mean a player that is generally considered to be experienced, yet often makes mistakes or solecisms that would more likely be attributed to a "newb."

Abbey

Spork Queen
That definition is so funny. I participate in a writer's forum and many 'noobs' pop in. It's a WRITER'S forum. We don't want to know about Warcraft or Wii or what you did last night that your parents didn't know about unless you can make it into a great story. They are ANNOYING.

Newbies, on the other hand, are people who are genuinely trying to join the forum for it's intent.

Abbey

Lothlorien

I thought a Troll was what some of you are describing as a NOOB....simply put, a troll is someone who purposely just annoys the heck out of you for his/her own delight.