Have You Read These Books? What Are You Reading?

DDD

It's been awhile since we have had a post about reading so I thought I would start one. :smile: Truth be known, I haven't read either of these books but I literally laughed aloud
as I read the reviews this morning.

Maybe.......you have to be from the South?? But they sound like
quick fun reads!

The author is a columnist, Susan Reinhardt. Her first book is
entitled :rolleyes: "<u>Not Tonight, Honey. Wait 'til I'm a size</u>
<u>6"</u>

The new one is "<u>Don't Sleep With a Bubba Unless Your Eggs Are In</u>
<u>Wheelchairs". </u>:surprise:

Has anyone read these? If they are half as amusing as the titles
I think I need to get them! LOL!

What are you guys reading that you would recommend? DDD

skeeter

DDD - if you are into southern womanly humor, have you heard of the Sweet Potato Queens? The books get somewhat risque (ok, they get downright crude) at times, but if that doesn't bother you, they are a riot! I still think the first (The Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love) and second books are the best of the bunch (and you must get the first book to understand the rest of it all).

http://www.sweetpotatoqueens.com/

Wiped Out

Staff member
What hilarious titles-I haven't read them but plan to check them out.

Our book club just read Glass Castles-it was a very good book-non fiction.

I also read Three Cups of Tea-another non fiction and one of the best books I have read in a very long time-it was incredible.

Another book I finished in the last month is 19 Minutes-excellent story.

Right now I'm reading Memory Keeper's Daughter for book club-just started it so I'm not sure how good it is.

I'm also reading My Sister's Keeper-seems to be pretty good so far.

I've also read a couple of the Shopaholic books for lighter reading.

muttmeister

Those are great titles. I'll have to look for them. I've been reading a lot of James Clavell lately (Shogun, King Rat, Tai Pan, Noble House) and between those I've been reading the Mrs. Murphy mysteries. For those of you who don't know, Mrs. Murphy is a cat and she and the dog and the other cats help their human "mother" solve mysteries. Light reading but fun. They are by Rita Mae Brown (and Sneakie Pie Brown). :wink: And I'm dying to read I Feel Bad About My Neck but I'm hoping the library will get it so I don't have to buy it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I just finished memory keepers daughter and wasn't too thrilled with it. The story drug terribly for me.

I'll have to look into some of these titles. I'm out of new reading material at the moment.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I love those titles. I was looking for something new to read. Thanks.

I wanted to read something entertaining. I read all 12 Janet Evanovich's novels in the Stephanie Plum series. I just finished No.12 last night. No.13 doesn't come out until June. They have been delightfully funny and entertaining.
I have been buying used books from amazon.com. Some have been less than 2.00.

I really enjoyed the Memory Keeper's Daughter. It was touching.

I am ready to read something more serious now that I went through the entertaining books.

I read the Kite Runner and found it dragged me down too much. I find I don't have much tolerance to read anything that feels hopeless.

F

flutterbee

I just finished The Lovely Bones which I thought was really good, but not as much as all the hype made it out to be. I've just started Running with Scissors.

Sharon - I loved My Sister's Keeper.

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #333399"> wiped out, i love jodi picoult! tho not all of her work. i've already read 19 minutes & My Sisters Keeper is probably my favorite. picoult writes such multilevel stories....& there is always a twist at the end! the first book of her's that i read was THE PACT.

waiting for evanovich's next book. been on the library wait list for a few months now lol.

currently read harlan coben's latest: The Woods. love his stuff.

waiting for In An Instant by bob & lee woodruff.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

bby31288

Just finished Two little girls in Blue. It was very good. I also loved the Memory Keepers Daughter. I read My sisters keeper in 1 day sitting at the airport for a 7 hour delay. I recently picked-up Running with Sissors (sp) Have to start reading it.

The Sweet Potato books sound fun. I like light hearted books.

Pam R

I love all of Rita Mae's Books. Just finished her newest one and as it's gone back to the library, more than 20 mins. ago, i can't for the life of me remember the title. :hammer:

Last read:

Will Rogers by Betty Rogers

The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder

and to be read: Hunters of Dune by Brian Herbert

Also Janet Evanovich's are good for quick, light hearted reading.

I have all of hers and most of Rita Mae's and Tracy Kidder's.

Would LOVE to find more of Will Rogers' books but they are long out of print.

Pam R.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've been reading the Undead series by Mary Janice Davidson - a local author here.

Over the winter I'd been reading all the Terri Gerritson books - good read, in my humble opinion.

Fran, going to have to check out the Amazon used books. Never thought about doing that.

DDD

I bought five used book via Amazon and the total, including shipping, was under $25. Amazing! DDD

amstrong

I LOVE Evanovich's Stephanie Plum Books--they make me belly laugh-family thinks I am nuts the way I laugh when I am reading one of those.

I just finished "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons" by Lorna Landvik--a GREAT read. I am about to start another of hers that my sister says is as wonderfuls as the other called "Patty Jame's House of Curl"

For crime/mystery novels, I love ANYTHING by James Lee Burke--his work is great.

rejectedmom

I also just finished "Two little girls in Blue" and liked it alot. I also just read David Baldacci's "The Camel Club" which is an entertaining if somewhat unlikely sleuthe novel. I am currently halfway through Nicholas Evans' "The Divide" So far I like it alot there is terrific character development and he has phenomenal discriptive ability without getting overly wordy. I guess I am always amazed when I find a male author who can describe human emotions so beautifully. -RM

KFld

I haven't heard of either of those book titles. My book club just ready My sisters keeper and I loved it. I am reading things I never would have chosen to read on my own.

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Robyn, I do laugh out loud at the antics of the crew in the Stephanie Plum series.

I ordered some of the books suggested in this thread. </span>

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #000099"> the family always knows when i'm reading evanovich novels because i'm always LOL.

one of the librarians turned me on to her one day when i said i was looking for a new author. i know she's also a favorite of witzend's.

i love that her books are located in jersey tho trenton is not an area i'm that familiar with. harelen cobin's novels are also in jersey....livingston, generally. his character often go up to sussex county (on the PA/dingman's border). that's where i grew up & lived for many years as an adult. love being able to say, "i KNOW just where he's talking about!"

kris
</span> </span> </span>

sameold sameold

These all sound like good books, I need to start reading again. I have always read mystery and true crime, but now with difficult child gone and husband on the road all week, I would rather read something funny being here alone. :smile: