He asked permission to .......

Andy

ask her to marry him!

Diva's boyfriend asked to talk to husband and I. It was a family meeting including difficult child.

boyfriend asked if he had our permission to ask Diva (not now but in the future) to marry him. If she says yes, it would be after her schooling (1 1/2 years).

I like him - he has better values than the other kids Diva hangs with.

This was my opportunity to tell him about my concerns. I asked if they had worked a few things out and I did tell him that I am concerned with some of their arguments - that they have to let each other do things for themselves and be flexible when plans change (he was very upset when she made a doctor appointment on a day that she was suppose to spend with him - I told him that her health comes first. Not to get overly possessive.)

I told him that I don't want to see either of them hurt especially Diva to which difficult child chimed in and said, "I am more concerned about boyfriend getting hurt".

We gave our permission. I have voiced my concerns and now I need to stay in the background and let them figure it out.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
difficult child chimed in and said, "I am more concerned about boyfriend getting hurt".

Hahahaha - ROFLMBO. That is hysterical!

Congrats to Diva...and you and H that she found someone who is at least respectful of your family values. To me, that is HUGE. I like the wait time. And I hope they work out their issues, especially his possessiveness.

P

PatriotsGirl

That is SO awesome!!! Sounds like a great guy to pull every one together like that!!

Andy

He didn't indicate when he would ask. Just said in the future - not now. He said their relationship is progressing toward that step and since it is hard to find a time when both husband and I are together he was asking us now.

I suspect he will be the type to plan a romantic event and propose on one knee.

He showed us a picture of the ring he plans to present her. A ring that has been in his family. It needs to be sized and cleaned. I have not seen a wedding ring like it and it does look a lot like something Diva would pick out if she had a choice.

Jena

wow, congratulations! i'm glad he did the "guy" thing and asked you two. that was cool. I bet you sat him down and told him what you thought lol. what was his reaction to that?? good 4 you to get it out there and than know you gotta back off now and let her live her life and him.

i'm glad you like him yet i laughed that you said difficult child was concerned the boyfriend would get hurt lol. he's a funny kid!

ahhh so she weds, unreal right? are you surprised??

Andy

While I was speaking my concerns, he kept nodding in agreement. We didn't get too deep into it but I believe he heard what I was saying and took it to heart.

boyfriend just laughed when difficult child said he was more concerned about boyfriend getting hurt.

He is very good to difficult child - they are good friends. That goes a long way with me also as you can imagine. (remember, he joined difficult child in a Jr/Adult bowling league last Spring and drove into town the nights he was able to bowl - he lives about 25 miles away).

I am not surprised. I know they have been talking about future things. They talk in plural alot (us/we instead of I/me).

It feels right to me and it is a good excitement feeling. My instincts say they will be just fine and happy together (hope I am right because it looks like there they go).

I suspect an engagement soon now that he has our permission. He told Diva that he thought we hated him because one time Diva teasingly told him we did not like him. He was afraid to talk to husband alone so asked Diva to be with him and then asked me to attend. LOL! He should be more afraid of me! I just don't get this thing about the guys in Diva's life being afraid of husband. So weird but it is most likely a good thing.

So now he knows we do like him but he better work on the possessiveness trait. That is the ONLY concern but it could be a dangerous one if it does develop.