He carved into his arm...

susiestar

Roll With It
Karen,

when it all comes down to it, you can't really stop someone from cutting. I am glad you took him to the psychiatrist. I hope this was a one time thing. If it continues, then you may need to look at his medications, or do more in therapy. For now, keeping an eye on it is a pretty good step.

Watch for long pants in hot weather, those wristbands (kids who ARE into emo use those to cover cutting quite frequently, or at least my difficult child and his emo friends did - we were blessed that his best friend is a girl and she thinks emo is "stupid". that was exactly her word, and she has a lot of influence with my son, so it was much easier to move him away from that course of action.) Also watch for long sleeves in hot weather, blood on the sheets or inside any of his clothing.

These are things/places I learned to check the hard way. It was a lot harder to get my son to see that cutting was a bad thing to do after he had been doing it for a while.

you are probably at the beginning, so it will be easier to monitor and to talk to him about it.

Sounds like you are doing what you can,

Hugs,

Susie