He Didn't Get It

susiestar

Roll With It
husband did not get the job on campus. In many ways, while he is bummed, I am relieved. They would have paid him abou $10 per hour. Yes, the guy who left got a big fancy job with some big company but that is a rarity and not what usually happens. We cannot live on that, esp not after putting him through a master's program. He cannot see it right now, and that is okay.

I did get info about getting his teaching credentials back. Still wouldn't pay much, but he would love it most likely. Esp high school. Plus I am going to light a fire under his keister to get him going on that video game class I posted about. I think they knew he was worth a lot mroe than they could pay. Also, rumors I heard said that personnel pushed them to go for the lowest qualified person so they could pay the least possible - and that isn't him.

In his corner, he was invited to apply for a job as an admissions counsellor at a college 30 miles from us. He has been temping there. This is a HUGE thing, not because the pay which I am sure is not good, but because this is an all black college - and we are not. Not that it would matter to him, but they just do not keep temps there for weeks that are not african american and they do NOT want applications/resumes from those who are not african american. Heck, until about ten yrs ago you got pulled over for driving around town if you were not. NOT wanting to start a race thing, but that is just how the college and tiny town around it are. So even inviting him to apply is a big deal and says how much they really like having him working iwth them. Says a LOT about my husband - but he cannot see it right now.

Anyway, thanks for all the support.

Mattsmom277

I'm sorry to hear this because unemployment is a difficult thing yet it sounds like perhaps there are better opportunities for him out there and I'm sending the best of luck his way to find something good paying reflective of his capabilities that will also be fulfilling.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ohhhhhhhhhhh. I thought you were black. I'm not sure I can continue talking to you now. lol.

I mean........WHAT? Of COURSE they what? So the job===wait.....

The job he wanted he didn't get because he's not black? Or is that because he cant teach you how to be black? (ROFLM afro off) I didn't know there was such a thing. Wait - yes i did. I watched Fat Albert as a kid - HEY HEY HEY......and Don Cornelius. I'm cool. Wait - maybe I'm not......Can I take that class? OMG I'm laughing too much here Susie*.

Okay to recap. I can't take a black college class because I don't have a job THAT much I get. No money no school. And You're too far away. Got it. And you're white. (Good to know) lol.

But bottom line is DF did not get a job that you din't want him to get....and he has a chance to continue to temp at a job that HE likes...right?

Lord woman -you confuse me. And that? adds another dynamic to the problem at hand = If God says she's not happy......then what?

Tch tch tch......I need more lemonade. Try and straighten this out will ya.

susiestar

Roll With It
He didn't get the job at the local university. It was with tech support for about $10 per hour. He has a master's and this is WAY under-using his education but he was feeling desperate. He would have been great but I am sure they knew he wouldn't stay long. I didn't want him to get it because it doesn't pay well.

He is doing a temp job at a nearby all-black university. THis nearby university asked him to apply for a job there. problem doesn't pay any better, but it is HUGE that they asked him because neither of us is black. NOt that WE care, but this univ does. I was offered a full-ride scholarship there, plus $500 a month spending cash - until they realized that I was not black. They were a bit shocked when I called about their offer because few with the type of scholarship offer I had displayed any interest, even with them tossing that amt of cash around. As soon as they saw a picture of me they explained that the offer was only for black students. I chuckled because I already knew that. I got lost and ended up in their tiny town as a teen and the local cops tried to ticket me - simply because I was whiter than Caspar the ghost and that was "suspicious". They realized how lost I was and didn't ticket me, but I know lots who got "suspicious behavior" tickets for even getting off the highway at the gas station in their vicinity. Not just kids, adults too.

Anyway, that is beside the point. I am just hoping husband realizes what it says that they like him, a white guy, enough to ask him to apply for a job!

I WANT him to go back to teaching - highschool, college, tech school. He LOVES it. I also want him to make a course to teach kids to write video games. Eventually he will comply. He usually does. lol.

lovemysons

Dear Sus,
Sorry husband did not get the job but I am rooting for you all that something good will come along soon.

Hugs and love,
LMS

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ten bucks an hour isn't very darn much. whew

I hope he gets a job he's well suited for and pays a decent wage you can live off of.

Hugs

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Just keep telling him those rejections are God's way of telling him he's meant for something better. It's hard to be patient or objective, though, when you are hustling so hard to find an employer you can feel good about. I hope something more appropriate to his level of education and experience comes up soon!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Keeping my fingers crossed.

I get what you're saying about the college. Coming from a small town with a similar univ, that IS a big deal.

It's a good thing he didn't get the 10 dollar an hour one, the right one will be here soon. He just can't see the big picture right now and I do know that hurts. Keep on doing what you're doing....cheerleading.

klmno

I'm sorry he is still having to deal with this pressure and stres- and you, too. But I'm glad he's holding out for something "good".