He is a True Blue DITZ!

susiestar

Roll With It
thank you wins the Ditz of the Week award!

Got a call this afternoon. Seems thank you forgot to get off the bus at our stop. So instead of coming home he gets to spend a lot longer on the bus, and much of that time with the elem school kids, because I refuse to call anyone to go and get him.

Yes, maybe it is mean. But husband is in Tulsa because he has to teach a class there tonight. And our car won't start - most likely needs a starter plus it needs tires. So I can't go get him. I don't know if my folks are back from their trip and I know Wiz had to enroll today, plus it was the first day of classes (nothing like difficult child procrastination, lol, but it seems to work for him) for him. I also feel strongly that he will learn to pay attention from natural consequences and will NOT if we go and pick him up.

It is one thing to miss the bus in the morning, but a whole different thing to miss it after school, lol!!!

The guy from school seemed to expect me to be really upset with either thank you or the driver, and was a bit surprised when I said I couldn't come get him. But he did say that they could get him home so I am letting them.

I am betting he will be tired when he gets home, so dinner will be ready to eat whenever he wants to (not doing a family meal tonight, more of a "here it is, wash your plate when you are done" type thing.

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my son!! He didn't doze off, wasn't deep in conversation with someone, or even lost in his own head. He was reading a book. I just have to smile at this - I remember so many times where I read a book while walking home from somewhere. Used to drive my parents nuts because they were SURE that I was going to walk off into traffic. This wasn't all that unreasonable a fear as getting home from elem school required walking along one five lane busy street and crossing another four lane busy street.

He was upset with himself, felt like an idiot, but I assured him he was not the first or last kid to do this. Anyway, he is home safe.

keista

Awwwwww poor kid! At least he was reading and not horsing around.

A few years ago, my girls didn't get dropped off like they were supposed to. Bus driver just blew right by their stop (they are the only kids at it) She only realized her mistake after the last kid was dropped off and she saw that she still had kids. She finally brought them home and was very apologetic. Apparently she thought they were absent because they are so quiet. :groan:

InsaneCdn

There are some "natural consequences" that are easier to accept than others... for everybody involved.
This was one of those... no harm done on any front, but a good lesson.
And YOU didn't have to be the bad guy or engineer any kind of consequence.

H

HaoZi

A friend's kid got "lost" on the bus more than once because a bully wasn't letting her get up and off at her stop. More than once the bus got back to school before anyone realized she was on it, even though my friend called the school as soon as her daughter didn't get off the bus.

susiestar

Roll With It
Haozie - if it were that type of situation I would be involved. This is just the second day of school so I wasn't very surprised. We all love to read and it could have happened to any of us. In fact, when I rode the bus to work in Cincy I did this about once a month. Usually I caught it by the next stop or two and just had to walk a little farther.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - I used to do this deliberately... I went to a private school then day care, and by age 13 I was sick of day care... So every so often I'd "sleep" through my stop and the driver would drop me near home.