He smiles more ...

TerryJ2

:D ...now that he's been off of wheat for a wk.
It's nothing major, just that he hasn't had any meltdowns, and he smiles more. He just seems happier, overall. And he's only wet the bed once in 7 days. Quite an improvement!

He's still stubborn and uncooperative (on his list of chores, lately we're lucky if he does 3) but not combative. It's like we can see his real personality. It makes it so much easier to deal with-him.
I'm still practicing my calm voice, one brief instruction, and then walking away. And giving him 5 min. warnings because he's much, much better at transitions but not perfect.
It all works so much better.

I bought a bunch of blk felt coloring boards for rainy days, but he found them in my car and has colored every single one, quietly. !!! He wasn't supposed to take them, but he's so focused and quiet ... so I just told him they were for a rainy day and he was only supposed to have ONE so he was aware of the issue. But I didn't want to punish him.

The only really bad thing he's done is take a can of red spraypaint and spray diagnosis and other wrestling expressions on the inside of his walk-in closet. I HATE that smell and it's very bad for you. He had to sleep with-the window open when it was 90 degrees.

We had Father's Day dinner at our fave Italian restaurant and the owner cooked rice pasta for difficult child. So far, so good!

I'm tempted not to type this, lest the bb evil genie pop up and jinx me ...:anxious:

B

butterflydreams

So wonderful! I am happy for you that you are seeing positive changes.

Christy

witzend

That sounds really hopeful! Do you have a good market nearby that you can purchase gluten free foods at?

Christy

Great News! No meltdowns is major. I hope things continue to improve and way to go, staying calm. If my son spray painted in the house I think I would have lost it!

Josie

Good news. I was wondering how it was going.

If he does have a meltdown, I would think back about what he has eaten because chances are, there will be some gluten involved! I know that is very hard to believe but it is what I have experienced over the years.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Terry,

It sounds like an entirely new boy! I'm so happy for you all. And your statement about seeing his real personality shine through makes it easier to deal with him? Ah - very true.

Hugs
Star

susiestar

Roll With It
I am SO HAPPY for you!!!! This is amazing. I still remember watching my friend/coworker change from a total difficult child to a reasonable human being in about 6 weeks when they started treating her for celiac. It is one of the reasons we tested my kids allfor this.

Anyway, iti s jsut wonderful that you can see his real personality shine through.

Hugs,

susie

ps. saying the secret spell to keep the evil genie away!!

TerryJ2

Funny, how my perception of The Boy Who Cried Wolf colors everything my difficult child does. Today, acting impulsively on the stupid news media reports that rice is scarce, I bought a huge, $30 bag of rice at the local Korean market. It's as big as a bag of dog food. They had hundreds of pounds of rice stacked in rows. No rice shortage here! Duh.
At any rate, I asked husband to bring it in because it was heavy.
He set it down and KABLOOEY! the bag ripped open and rice poured out everywhere.
I was going to ask difficult child to do it but for some reason asked my husband instead. As we were cleaning up the mess, I told husband I was actually glad that he had done it because if difficult child had done it, I would have thought it was his "fault," rather than cheap packaging.
I need to step back and see how many things difficult child really does or doesn't do ... it just got me thinking.

First I am so glad that you are seeing a difference!

I also like that you were able to step back and observe the situation for what it really was. You have given me food for thought.

Way To Go warrior mom!

Marguerite

It's really good he's doing so well.

As someone else suggested, if there is a problem then go back and check what he's eaten, because gluten can sneak in so very unexpectedly sometimes. Our friend who has coeliac and is very careful, accepted a caramel toffee from her cousin. Within minutes she was in agony with cramps and bloating - it turned out that it had corn syrup in it and something else which had enough gluten to make her ill.

We have rice vermicelli and sometimes bean thread noodles. You need to watch some brands of soy (and other Asian supply sauces). We needed to keep a watch when they were trialling a gluten-free diet for difficult child 3, so definitely been there done that.

With the bulk bags of rice - we have a large plastic drum with a rubber seal inside the lid. we use that for our bulk supplies of bread flour and rice. OK, you haven't got bread flour, but it is great for rice as well as rice noodles. It keeps it all together, keeps it fresher and keeps the weevils etc out of it. I pour off a certain amount of rice into a plastic bottle and then work from the plastic bottle for rice supplies for most meals, only going to the drum when I need to refill the plastic bottle. We do the same with other grain products and sugar.

Also, watch out for corn starch (aka cornflour) - we have brands of "cornflour" in Australia that are made from wheat. They are supposed to be labelled "wheaten cornflour" but sometimes it's written in very small print. It can make a very big difference to a recipe, as well as a huge difference to someone with a gluten intolerance.

Marg

TerryJ2

Wheaten cornflour? Whew.

Yes, the pediatrician wrote the scrip, upon my request. We drove to a nearby lab and had the blood drawn. They sent the results back to the dr. and they called us.