He was sworn into the Marines

worried sick mother

This is wonderful news, I'm so happy for you and your family. I'm smiling!!! I think the marines is an awesome opportunity , I wish my son would do this and I would have never said that before. You should be so proud!!!

lovemyson1

This is wonderful news, I'm so happy for you and your family. I'm smiling!!! I think the marines is an awesome opportunity , I wish my son would do this and I would have never said that before. You should be so proud!!!
Thank you sweet lady! We are very proud and so is he! It's been a long, hard road but we are more hopeful than ever! I sure wish we all could experience success with our difficult children! Appreciate your words of encouragement!

ColleenB

This is wonderful, and does give us all hope. Our son is back at university and I know his track record, and his chances... but I am trying to choose hope everyday. What other choice do I have.

Best of luck to you and your son.

lovemyson1

This is wonderful, and does give us all hope. Our son is back at university and I know his track record, and his chances... but I am trying to choose hope everyday. What other choice do I have.

Best of luck to you and your son.
Thank you!! I do hope your son is successful Colleen! We had a wonderful thanksgiving and hubby's taking him to Honolulu this Saturday for 5 days. He's doing so well and In January he's off to boot camp! :)

Copabanana

I just have some doubts given his past history of oppositional, immature behavior.

Getting kicked out of the military isn't like getting fired from a job. A dishonorable, or even a general discharge follows you for life.
Life is what you make it. Son has a history of addiction, but many, many successful people do. Many people make terrible mistakes and recover from them.

The possibility of erring is not a reason not to try and to seek your destiny. His covenant with himself and G-d is more important to him than the possibility he will err. He sounds like a young man of integrity who made a serious deviation in life, but retraced his steps, and built character from what he had learned and experienced.

Lovemyson, you and your husband never, ever lost faith in G-d or in your son. This victory of integrity and purpose and commitment is yours to savor as well as son's.

There are no guarantees in life, for anybody. And as long as there is life and breath, there is coming back, there is recovery, there is return. (At least in my faith, there is the belief.) The belief in redemption. Over and over again. If necessary. One hopes that son's life will stay on a steady and upward curve but nobody's does. We can only hope for the kind of resiliency and recovery that he has manifested. If he backslides, there is no reason to believe he will not find these same resources.

I believe this. I am SO HAPPY for you. I am SO HAPPY for him. Although I wish he was not in the infantry.

Semper Fi !!!!! Congrats....

I had to go to the Army for 2 1/2 years as a mandatory service in my country before I became a citizen of US. I spent most of my life going to schools here so going to the Army was not what I wanted. However, military will teach you the discipline and so many other things that I will never forget. I still have my "dog tags" and my wife wears it once a while when we go out.

I told and suggested a military service to my stepson for numerous reasons. As I mentioned, you will learn the discipline, be responsible and when you get out, there are so many advantages waiting for you. For an unmotivated 22 year old said "NEVER" and that was it. Mother also thinks going into military immediately equals to going into a war zone. There are thousands of positions that you do not have to shoot and face combat in the military but no one believed in my family. Therefore, the conversation of military was shut down.

I am so happy for you lovemyson1 !!!! He will come back as a totally different man. I wish for you the BEST....

MomOfTwoBoys

Well he did it! Been clean for 14 months. Living on his own, working and..... enlisted into the Marines this past Monday! He leaves in January. I'm so proud of him and so unbelievably thankful for his life changes! Grateful is an understatement of how I feel! Please don't give up hope dear people!
That is wonderful!

PiscesMom

Oh no...why?? Are you sure it isn't fear from the past? (I don't know how to phrase it right, but maybe many of us here have PTSD? ) Sounds like you have been thru a lot. Hopefully he goes pretty soon, I know its January...hopefully earlier part?

I still think it is amazing he got this far, and took such a bold step.

lovemyson1

Oh no...why?? Are you sure it isn't fear from the past? (I don't know how to phrase it right, but maybe many of us here have PTSD? ) Sounds like you have been thru a lot. Hopefully he goes pretty soon, I know its January...hopefully earlier part?

I still think it is amazing he got this far, and took such a bold step.
Thanks for the kind and positive remarks! He's been "partying" and I don't think he should be. I just wish he would refrain from all substances. I worry about him relapsing. He goes January 19th.

Karrissa

Well he did it! Been clean for 14 months. Living on his own, working and..... enlisted into the Marines this past Monday! He leaves in January. I'm so proud of him and so unbelievably thankful for his life changes! Grateful is an understatement of how I feel! Please don't give up hope dear people!
How did you get him on the right tract?

lovemyson1

Karrissa, he got on track bc he feared prison for his actions. He drove himself to a home for men who WANT to change their life. It's called Victory Outreach and they're nationwide. He prayed, went to church, read his bible, worked and his life changed. We stopped enabling him but continued with love and support. It has to come from the addict to change. I guess prison was enough to make him turn his life around. God showed so much mercy on my son, his charges have all been dropped and he leaves for boot camp in 17 days.