He was sworn into the Marines

lovemyson1

Well he did it! Been clean for 14 months. Living on his own, working and..... enlisted into the Marines this past Monday! He leaves in January. I'm so proud of him and so unbelievably thankful for his life changes! Grateful is an understatement of how I feel! Please don't give up hope dear people!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Best of luck to him, LMS1. I hope it works out for him. I just have some doubts given his past history of oppositional, immature behavior.

Getting kicked out of the military isn't like getting fired from a job. A dishonorable, or even a general discharge follows you for life. A general leads to lots of questions. A dishonorable is like a felony conviction, with all the same effects on career, credit, renting a place to live, etc. Especially if the person hiring, renting, etc, is an honorably discharged vet.

lovemyson1

Best of luck to him, LMS1. I hope it works out for him. I just have some doubts given his past history of oppositional, immature behavior.

Getting kicked out of the military isn't like getting fired from a job. A dishonorable, or even a general discharge follows you for life. A general leads to lots of questions. A dishonorable is like a felony conviction, with all the same effects on career, credit, renting a place to live, etc. Especially if the person hiring, renting, etc, is an honorably discharged vet.
True. And we feel the same worry. It's what he wants to do and he's so proud of himself and motivated. As I've learned through this process, I have no control. My husband has given him the insight to the consequences if he screws up. All I can do now is celebrate his healthy mind and body and pray for his protection and success.

Jabberwockey

A dishonorable is like a felony conviction, with all the same effects on career, credit, renting a place to live, etc. Especially if the person hiring, renting, etc, is an honorably discharged vet.

Unless you are convicted of a crime, especially in boot camp, you aren't likely to get a dishonorable discharge.

AppleCori

I am so happy for you all!

He is a grown man, and seems to be dealing with his life and making good decisions.

This is how it is suppose to be.

I bet he will do fine.

Don't worry about it, this is his journey.

Apple

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, let's hope that if he screws up, it's in BCT, where he'll be "chaptered" and most likely separated as unfit for military service. That is NOT a bad mark on your record depending on what the chapter code is. There's one that basically say, Personality not a good fit for military. That's the one you hope for. That can be anything from the person who is too horribly homesick to function, to someone who has a phobia of some sort that makes them unfit for service. That wouldn't hurt them in the real world except for certain jobs.

What is your son't military specialty? With the understanding that ALL Marines are infantrymen first and foremost.

lovemyson1

Unfortunately he tested quite low and is in the infantry. He wants to retest and go into Military Police. He still has the goals of being in law enforcement like his dad one day.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Unless you are convicted of a crime, especially in boot camp, you aren't likely to get a dishonorable discharge.

I know that Jabber. That's why I brought that up in the letter above: hoping that if he screws up, he does it in BCT and gets "chaptered".

My concern is that he'll make it through BCT , Infantry training, and MOS training, and goof up at his duty station or on deployment.

He has had major drug issues, and IIRC, has had emotional problems including a violent temper.

Last edited:

lovemyson1

The way we see it is like this: he has cleaned up his life, his criminal record has been cleared, he gave his life to God and he is living a respectful existence. We have truly enjoyed this past year with him and made wonderful memories. Memories we never would've had if he remained on heroin. So I celebrate now and I hope he does well in the military. I give him great credit for wanting to serve his country. And if he fails or even dies, it's much better than losing him to drugs.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Lovemyson1:

Congrats/great news and agree with you: Stay Positive!!

Sounds like he is on the right track and if it were my son I'd be doing a happy dance right now!!
:holymoly:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, I have my own feelings on "giving one's life to god". Right now, he has given his life to the US Government, to do with as it sees fit.

That's much closer and more real than god at this point in his life. I do wish him the best. I just hope he realizes that he's putting his life in the weapons in his hands, the gear on his back, and his fellow platoon members. Again, much closer and more immediate.

If he succeeds, let him own and take credit for that hard work and the hard work that got him there. If he fails? Let him own that as well.

He's oathbound to uphold and defend the US Constitution and the obey the orders of his Commander-in-Chief,so long as they are lawful orders.

All the more reason to vote with great thought and insight this year.

jetsam

lms1, thank you for your post! it truly lends hope to those of us who's Difficult Child's are not doing so well and floundering through life. It lets me have that cautious optimism that if yours can get better ,so can mine (maybe). that alone gives strength. thank you

lovemyson1

You're welcome jetsam. If I can bring any hope it makes me happy. I wish with all my heart that us parents and our difficult children never experienced the suffering of addiction. We've been through so much pain to get where we are and we know he can relapse any time.. so far so good. I choose to trust in my optimism.

jetsam

I agree lms1, without that glimmer of hope...well i might just lie down and not get up. But as long as there is hope...there is life and as long as therein life..there is hope. Yes cautious optimism maybe but ill take it! I guess the glass can be half empty or half full..either way its still half a glass. lol

Ironbutterfly

If focused on a single leaf you won't see the tree
Well he did it! Been clean for 14 months. Living on his own, working and..... enlisted into the Marines this past Monday! He leaves in January. I'm so proud of him and so unbelievably thankful for his life changes! Grateful is an understatement of how I feel! Please don't give up hope dear people!

My middle son joined the Marines a few years out of high school. He researched it and found that many CEO's were Marines. He could have gone to college, been an engineer, high IQ, etc. But he wanted to do this-I made him read all the fine print before he signed and told him, make sure he understood what he was committing to- I said I don't want to hear that you didn't understand. I went with him talked to recruiter, he asked lot of questions, etc. He was in Iraqi Freedom. He told me it was the best thing he ever did. He got to see the world, went to many places, formed lasting bonds, built character, discipline, integrity and saw the world through different eyes. It made him appreciate how fortunate he was to live in USA and the struggles that other people from other countries go through daily. It got him a really good job after his honorable discharge. He has no regrets. Good luck to your son, Sempi FI from one Marine Mom to another. Here is a website that is incredible for support with other Marine parents. Husband and I met many people from here from son's unit after boot camp. http://moms-of-marines-support.com/Site-Map.html.