HE WON'T SHUT UP

What do you do when your child won't stop talking?

Me, I ignore him until I'm done talking and if I can't for whatever reason then I tell him I'm talking and he needs to wait his turn. How is that working you ask :thumbsdown:

husband, stop talking, why? he says he forgets what he's trying to say because he can't ignore difficult child :rolleyes:

difficult child, just keeps talking it doesn't matter what you say or do or don't do he thinks everyone should stop until he's done talking :rofl:

I would be happy if I could get basked B ideas to work, husband is happy with A and difficult child of course is happy with C :hammer:

thanks for listening i don't feel any better but hey atleast it's off my chest :smile:

Anna1345

We usually say "excuse me, you are interrupting" and then completely ignore him (whether we loose track or not) and keep talking until he says "excuse me mom?" or waits for us to stop talking. Works like a charm.

Mine does the same thing. It doesn't matter who you're talking to or what you're talking about. He will jump in with something random. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!!

I usually look at him and tell him he's interrupting but 5 minutes later he's doing it again. I try to ignore him too but it's hard to do...... :hammer:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I whisper very quietly. It's amazing what a difficult child will do when he thinks he may be missing something. :hypnosis:

wakeupcall

My difficult child is the king of rudeness. He always interrupts to say things like...."Do you know what the dog did a few minutes ago?" Or something else just as ridiculous. He ALWAYS does it, no matter whether I'm on the phone, talking to his father, talking to a neighbor, etc. I HATE it! I've tried everything that anyone has ever suggested to stop it...and nothing has worked so far. I used to think he was just jealous and he'd outgrow it. Yea, well he's now twelve and still doing it. ARG! I feel for you...been there done that! I DO think lots of it has to do with jealousy...along with his separation anxiety.

navineja

I tell my difficult children to go do (blank) while we finish talking. Blank is whatever comes to my mind at the moment- jumping jacks, spin in circles, walk back and forth to the bedroom, whatever pops into my head. Seems to work for us most of the time.

Naomi

4sumrzn

Oh....well, there is no conversation going on when difficult child is around :grrr:. We have tried everything & I wish there was still "something" out there that would work. We know we can't be caught on the phone or the walls will fall around us & we can't even hear enough to politely excuse ourselves from the phone conversation. So, we don't answer the phone unless difficult child is gone or sleeping! Same with trying to hold any type of conversation....has to wait for after she's sleeping or we call/email while she's at school! It's something that still bothers us, but we can't figure out a way to change it :crying:

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child has always been like this-drives me crazy. We try a variety of things some work and some don't. Ignoring him only makes him more aggravated and then he gets louder!

BusynMember

Is this hypertalking a new behavior or has she always done it? If it's relatively new, you may want to look at the medications (Adderall could do it).

ShakinThingzUp

I like the whispering too.... my daughter always stopped to lean in and see what I was saying (she was way to nosy to MISS something)...

I have also told my kids that I'm "very busy right now, could you please go write all that down so that you don't forget, and I will read it when I am finished."

If its really important, they'll write it down. If it's not, the very thought of having to WRITE so much makes them shut up....

Sometimes it works.
God Bless!
Amy

trinityroyal

Our difficult child does this as well, and he's done it since he first learned to string words together. SO calls it "talking his thoughts", because difficult child will just spout off whatever random idea enters his head. He even mumbles in his sleep.

Like many people on the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) spectrum, difficult child is hyper-auditory. Sounds that most people just tune out or don't even hear are very loud and disturbung to him. One of difficult child's doctors (can't remember whether it was the therapist, pediatrician or neuro) suggested that difficult child talks loudly all the time to drown out all of the noises of the world.

So...we got difficult child a set of noise-cancelling headphones...like the ones that jackhammer operators wear. They seem to help him a lot...he doesn't talk nearly so much when he's wearing them. Of course, the other kids teased him mercilessly when he wore them at school, so we substituted an MP3 player. It had the same effect, and the added benefit of being "cool".

(The only drawback to the music player is that he sings along...out loud and out of tune. But...it's better than the constant talking)

Best of luck,
Trinity

wow trinity that's advice i think i just might be able to use maybe i can find some cool headphones since i work for motorola maybe i can even get them cheap yea right lol

trinityroyal

We also included the headphones/music player in difficult child's IEP at school, so they wouldn't give him grief about wearing the headphones in class.

(Of course, difficult child can turn anything into a circus act if he has an audience, so we worked with his teacher and aide to make sure that he was using the headphones appropriately rather than as part of the all-singing-all-dancing-difficult child-show.)

susiestar

Roll With It
Each of my sons started talking very early and once started took until about age, well oldest stopped about age 9. We are still waiting for youngest to stop. They each spent years talking non-stop, even in their sleep!!

Jess chattered because she thought she was supposed to. When we explained it was not the way things should go, SHE was able to turn it off sometimes.

And yes, sometimes we wanted to pop their little heads off. But we didn't. And you can't either. Nyah.

Susie

I totally understand how you feel!!! difficult child 2 talks and "babbles" non stop too!!! It absolutely drives me crazy!!!:smile::crazy:

difficult child 2 knows that he isn't supposed to interrupt when others are speaking. He does it anyway. We ignore him, he keeps on talking!!!:hammer: He reminds me of the energizer bunny - HE KEEPS RIGHT ON GOING AND GOING AND GOING, etc...

He talks out loud nonstop in his room too. He even "babbles" like a baby - He just LOVES the sound of his own voice!!!:hammer:

He absolutely drives everyone insane!!! The sad part is, he doesn't care if anyone is listening to him or not.:hammer: In fact, he thinks it is funny:crazy:when people tell him he needs to be quiet. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Please, when you find a solution, please, please, please pass it along!!! I'm desperate!!!

Sorry I can't be of much help. WFEN

Marguerite

Pamela, it's not rudeness unless he's doing it deliberately. It's partly an impulse control issue and partly a fear that if he waits and listens, he will lose what he has to say. Also, his own thoughts needing to be expressed seem far more important than anything else.

We try the hand up, we try the "You're interrupting; please wait." and it takes A LOT of doing this over and over. He IS getting better, but especially in the evening when medications have worn off, he's a constant talker.

Also, it does get better as they get older.

With the music player at school - we limited it to instrumental only, preferably classical such as Mozart and Vivaldi. Handel is good too. It stops the singing along.

WFEN - I like the analogy of the Energiser bunny. Definitely my boys!

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
When Travis was young he did the non stop talking thing.

I did what Timerlady said.... I whispered. He'd shut up just to try and hear what I was saying. :rofl:

Actually, alot of the time when I was trying to get the kids attention I'd talk very softly. I found it usually worked tons better than raising my voice.