Healthy Cheating

Lothlorien

I've been trying to eat healthy the past few weeks, making some subtle changes, like trying ground turkey vs. hamburger. I made tacos last week with it and although it wasn't bad, it was strange-looking, which made it weird to eat.

So, I was making my Escarole and Bean Soup today and I always put mini meatballs in the soup. I decided to cheat and use 1/3 ground meatloaf mix(ground pork, veal and hamburger) to 2/3 turkey. They came out really well! They looked normal too.

Anyone else have any "Healthy Cheating" tips to offer?

witzend

You can add Browning Sauce to turkey to make it a more appetizing color. Also, good no-stick pans that need very little oil to cook in helps, as well as grilling meat instead of frying helps.

SRL

Drat, another food thread. I thought by the subject line we were going to be talking about Raoul.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Ground turkey hasn't gone over well here. I'll mix the turkey with either half lean ground beef or with lean ground pork. I find myself using ground pork more & more.

It's really hard to overcome the "dryness" of the turkey.

Good luck finding other substitutes - I'll have to give it some more thought.

TerryJ2

Drat, another food thread. I thought by the subject line we were going to be talking about Raoul.

:rofl:

Jen

Dietiing doesnt go with-o increase cost but I would also use 4.5 gm fat only Hamburger. Of course ate alot of chicken. Healthy choice ham, spaghetti sauce, , adn love no sugar added smuckers jelly on wheat toast.

Jen

tinamarie1

lol......are our minds in the gutter or what?! I thought the same thing when I read the title of this post.
As for ground turkey, bleck bleck pooo...I couldn't handle the texture, I am weird like that.
As for Raoul...Im not sure but I bet he's wayyy yummmeee