healthy, low sugar snacks

Ktllc

I need some help here. difficult child is ALWAYS hungry. And it is not an act. The kid can/does eat all day long.
I am a little bit of health nut and really try to watch the amount of sugar we eat. I cook exclusively from scratch.
I always have a few cookies in the house but I also need some quick healthy alternative for V. And V will eat healthy once I tell him no more sugar.
On top of the list are:
no sugar added apple sauce (and other fruit sauce)
bananas
apples,
oranges,
low sugar yogurts (hard to find but they are out there)
toasts with butter
cereal bars (the ones with low sugar and high protein)
nuts
And after that, I run out of ideas...
He is too young to cook for himself and I don't want to be fixing him something every five minutes.
So the trick is: healthy but easy! lol
Any ideas? :)
ps: in case anyone wonders, V is very slim! Amazing...

InsaneCdn

Ummm.... Those might be low in "sugar", but they are still sky-high in carbs. So... what he's probably getting is real peaks and valleys in his blood-sugar.

Fruit at least has fiber, which helps - but no protein, and no fat.
Milk and plain yogurt are balanced as-is, as long as not "skim".
Veggies have MORE fiber and less simple carbs.
Nuts are protein and fat - as is cheese.
Soybeans are balanced like milk.

SO... the trick is to get carbs, protein, fiber AND fat... with every meal and every snack.

Having fruit? add cheese.
Toast? use peanut butter.

Veggies? well, the less-sweet ones are actually fairly easy on blood sugar anyway... brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc. Something to add fat and protein would be useful... The sweet ones (like carrots) need to be treated like fruit.

A glass of milk is a good balanced snack, "as is" - we use that if the kids are hungry half-an-hour before supper, because it doesn't spoil their supper... mind you, munching on veggies won't exactly spoil supper either - they just ate part of it before supper, that's all!

Do up raw veggies ahead of time, in containers in the fridge - to make it fast and easy.

Just some ideas...

keista

Celery with peanut butter or cream cheese
Carrot sticks - we like the ones cut matchstick, but the petite baby ones are good too.
Broccoli crowns
Veggies get Ranch dressing for a dip (do NOT use low or no fat, it's filled with more sugar)

N

Nomad

My favorite is pistachios
or strawberries with no sugar whip cream (you can buy this in a spray can)
I saw on Dr. Oz the other day, someone talking about something called PB2. It's peanut butter with-o fat or anything bad in it????? Has anyone heard of this?

InsaneCdn

Left-overs work, too...
I have a stack of containers in the fridge - stuff that can be eaten cold, but needs to be cleaned up... the 2 or 3 spoonfuls of...
- salad
- fruit
- cut-up roasted meat (ham, pork and beef work well cold... chicken is better warmed)

Also "frozen veggies"... as in, yes, still frozen. Peas, and corn, make the best frozen veggie treats. Just dump a quarter-cup or so into a small bowl.

Elsieshaye

Ditto to what IC already suggested. Frozen berries are also a good snack, high in fiber and relatively low carb. (I'm a low-carbing diabetic, and frozen raspberries are a staple for me). Plain greek yogurt sweetened with stevia (I mix this up ahead of time and store it in the littlest size of Gladware plastic containers) is good too. I pre-cut cheese and keep that in a resealable container as well. I hate to cook, so most of what I eat is easy-to-grab and simple. Nuts are good too - a small amount is very filling, so I put 1/4 cup servings into snack size baggies and store that way.