Heard from difficult child

catwoman

<span style='font-family: Arial Black'> </span> When I got home today he had answered my e-mail. I was afraid to open it, afraid it would be more of the same hate. Here's what he said:

"its good to hear from you...i would like very much to reestablish a relationship with you...i heard you got some tattoos well so did i...actually me and my friends chipped in and got a tattoo gun and are leaving permanent marks all over each other weekly...dont mind my horrible spelling...i got my ged i didn't study at all, just went and took it and pssed...i get my license back soon i crashed my pickup truck into a pole... i was drunk... my friend was in the hospital for a while...thought id give you the good with the bad
i love you too mom"

I can't tell you how happy I am right now. He's obviously still using and making stupid choices, but if I can even have a long distance relationship with him I'll be thrilled. I'm going to take this very, very slowly and carefully.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm so glad you heard back from him and that he was happy to hear from you. Such good news! :thumb:

Suz

jbrain

Hi Catwoman,
I am so glad he wrote back and wants to have some contact with you. I can imagine how hard your poor heart was beating when you opened the email. Thanks for letting us know what he wrote.
Hugs,
Jane

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm glad he replied. It must have been nerve wracking. A long distance relationship is better than nothing.

Hugs

KFld

I'm so thrilled for you. Isn't it funny how brutally honest they can be??
I think that kind of relationship is best for now. This way you can detatch easily if you feel it's not going well and he is trying to suck you into anything that resembles enabling.

For now, I would just keep it simple!

catwoman

Thanks for all your support. I don't think much has changed with him, but the idea of never having any contact was horrible. I know it sounded crazy to say I was so happy to hear from him even though he's still using and crashed his truck driving drunk. Even if our relationship is no more than an occasional e-mail or phone call to say 'hi, how are you," I can deal with that. The sound of his voice when he's been using is painful for me. Not hearing it for 3 years was worse. There were many, many times when I wished he would be gone from my life. I've learned to be careful what you wish for.

catwoman

Thanks for all your support. I don't think much has changed with him, but the idea of never having any contact was horrible. I know it sounded crazy to say I was so happy to hear from him even though he's still using and crashed his truck driving drunk. Even if our relationship is no more than an occasional e-mail or phone call to say 'hi, how are you," I can deal with that. The sound of his voice when he's been using is painful for me. Not hearing it for 3 years was worse. There were many, many times when I wished he would be gone from my life. I've learned to be careful what you wish for.

Sunlight

we are their parent and we will never stop loving them I think. I do not want to know ant's daily life, I do want to know he is alive and not angry. weird, huh?

ScentofCedar

I think he wrote a very nice letter.

He knew the GED part would please you ~ but he told you the good as well as the bad.

He's still in there somewhere then, whatever he's gotten himself into as the years have passed.

I agree wholeheartedly with whichever of us said that we never do stop loving them.

I'm so glad you took the courage to write him, catwoman.

Wishing you well, as always.

Barbara