Hearing things?

AllStressedOut

Lastnight my 3 difficult children were fighting in the middle of the night. So this morning I ask what happened. They apparently fought quietly enough not to wake us, but their brothers who were awake heard them. My youngest difficult child said my oldest difficult child wouldn't stop talking. So I ask my middle difficult child what happened and he said my oldest wasn't talking at first, but that my youngest thought he was. This goes along with what my middle easy child said, which is that my youngest kept telling my oldest to shut up and he wasn't talking. Is he hearing things? This has happened before, but I didn't believe my oldest difficult child wasn't talking. He talks non-stop so I just assumed he was lying. Now I'm starting to think that my youngest difficult child is truly hearing things. We are taking them to the GP today to get a referral to a neuropsychologist.

Any thoughts on hearing things? Does anyone else have a child who does this?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I don't have any experience with this but want to bump your post up so others will see it and it doesn't get lost.

Suz

smallworld

Your youngest could have dreaming and talking while half asleep. Or he could have been hearing things. in my humble opinion, any unusual behavior should be reported to the psychiatrist.

Steely

Or maybe he is SO used to hearing the older one talking......it is like a record player in his little mind that plays even when he is asleep, or half asleep. You know what I mean? Like if I do the same thing all day, like accounting, or cleaning, and I close my eyes, I see the task I was doing all day in my minds eye - or I dream ALL night about it. Does that makes sense - I hope?
I would think it is probably OK, unless it starts to happen during the day when you are sitting there, and you actually hear nothing.

AllStressedOut

Thanks Suz for bumping it up.

I do that too Amber. It does happen during the day sometimes though. He thinks someone is calling him or that you said his name and no one is talking. I can be reading with everyone else doing something pretty quiet and he can be in the same room and say "What Mommy?" like I called for him. I've thought I've heard someone call my name when they called someone else, but this just happens whenever. Sometimes its possible he could have mistaken something being said and sometimes there isn't any talking going on.

We went to the GP today and he is looking through our list of providers to refer us to a neuropysch? for testing of all 3 difficult children. I'm really starting to think my youngest difficult child may be on the spectrum. He doesn't like loud noises, movies or the vacuum. He doesn't make eye contact easily. He will if you tell him to, but only for a brief moment and then he looks away. He lines up his cars when he plays. Unfortunately, I don't know much about his development as a baby. The only thing I recall my husband and mother-in-law saying was that he never put anything in his mouth. I'm not sure if that means anything, but it seemed odd to me. All 3 of the kiddos I've raised since birth put things in their mouths to discover it really. It wasn't always a teething thing, it was just how they played with it.

We cancelled this weeks appointment with the psychiatrist because we're hoping to get the boys into the neuropysch and were told they'd have to be off their medications for this testing. Does this sound right? The psychiatrist hasn't really helped much in the last year and we're just exhausted with the same routine of upping medications and adding medications, always the same medications for each kid. If one changes, so does the next one. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Sara PA

My son occassionally has very short partial seizures of the sensory part of the brain, the good ole temporal lobe that deals with emotions. He has heard a phone ring that wasn't ringing. He also smelled things that weren't there.

On the other hand, he has a friend who has always heard voices but just ignores them. In fact, on another board I post at there was a thread about this. Turns out many otherwise "normal" people hear voices which they just ignore.

AllStressedOut

What do I do though when he's hitting his brother and telling him to shut up and his brother isn't talking? He was hitting him lastnight, jumping on him and throwing his pillow at him, all the time telling him to shut up, but according to 3 of the other boys, he wasn't talking when this all started. Fortunately he is small and didn't do harm, but this isn't right and my oldest difficult child shouldn't have to deal with this.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Have you asked youngest difficult child about what he heard and said? Get a handle on the conversation. Ask things like smells or flashing lights or if the conversation was telling him to do things?

I don't recall either of my son's having to be off medications for neuropsychologist exams. It may depend on the medication. I know of two in the area. One associated with Children's has a long waiting list. The other is private and very good also.

Always something isn't it.

AllStressedOut

Can you PM me the names of those two? I'd really prefer to go to someone who was recommended.

I have asked him and usually its something like "I thought you called my name" or sometimes he'll ask me if I hear that noise. He said lastnight my oldest difficult child was talking and wouldn't shut up, but he couldn't tell me what he was saying. The other 3 boys say he wasn't talking at all.

smallworld

My son was tested by a neuropsychologist off stimulants but not off mood and migraine medications (Lamictal, Lexapro, Propranolol). In fact, the neuropsychologist started the testing without Focalin XR on board and then had my son take it halfway through the testing to see if he could detect any difference. You need to ask the neuropsychologist his preference well before the start of the testing.