heartbroken over son's worsening state

InsaneCdn

In the age of information if schizophrenia were being wiped out anywhere, more than just this one doctor would know. The world would know.
The country in question does not claim to have "wiped out schizophrenia". I believe the DSM requires six months of continuous symptoms in order for that diagnosis to be given. And in this country, at the first hint of psychosis, there is intensive help - to the point that nobody gets to "six months of continuous symptoms". Individuals may fight psychotic experiences all of their life - but do not qualify for a "schizophrenia" diagnosis.

It isn't a popular approach because it is NOT cheap. And it is not a cure. But surely it results in a higher quality of life for both the individual and those around them.

BusynMember

I so very much agree, insane.

We here in the U.S. (probably not Canada) have no option for sometimes dangerous schizophrenic loved ones other than the streets,which leads to jail. And the sick are jailed in cells like criminals.

It's incorrigible.

BusynMember

This proves even a schizophrenics life can greatly improve in quality with superior treatment.

I LOVE IT!!! We need to do t here, but, of course, we won't....

Copabanana

This proves even a schizophrenics life can greatly improve in quality with superior treatment.
With early intervention, yes. They never even get to be schizophrenics, which as Insane points out, requires the 6 month period of psychosis.

But somebody correct me if I am wrong--when allowed to become a chronic condition, schizophrenia itself causes a decline in functioning. So there is no coming back to the pre-schizophrenia state, for most people. And the heavy drugs, too, are not without negative effects.

This is the real crime. Letting people get to this state, either because of indifference or to have a market for drugs.

I find it absolutely chilling how people are sacrificed in our society.

BusynMember

From what I understand, and I may have misunderstand, each psychotic episode, each manic episode, each depressive episode makes the illness worse so it's best to curtail the times these episodes happen.

I do know schizophrenics who totally lost touch with reality and on medication (which is the only option at this time) were able to go back to their old lives, back to college and work high level jobs.

karisma

Anyone have any idea what the difference is between WAR and IWA As far as warrants issued? My sons case docket shows WAR warrant issued 4 days ago and no one can figure out where it's coming from. Pretrial officer ran a warrant check and found nothing. The previous warrant that was issued shows as IWA as the abbreviated for warrant issued. I'm clueless as to why he would have a warrant again

AHF

Karisma, I have a son in much the same situation as yours. Actually, worse, because he has no job and no prospects of a job. He just spent an overnight in jail and is facing a charge of "criminal mischief," which could be a felony. I am scheduled to leave the country next week for almost a month, and right now I am not canceling that trip, even though I suspect worse things will happen to my son while I am gone. I will suggest a book I read recently that helped me change my attitude toward this person who so clearly has a mental illness and is so clearly in denial. It's title "I Am Not Sick! I Don't Need Help!" by Xavier Amador, and while the approach it preaches i hard to practice, it's been more useful to me than any of the counseling I (or my son) has received elsewhere. Meanwhile, if anyone reading this thread knows anything about "criminal mischief," just so I can be enlightened as to what may be at stake for my wayward son, I would appreciate! (P.S. My own status has changed, though it doesn't seem to show up below. Younger son is now doing well, and it's the older one who's a mess, at 28.)

Ironbutterfly

If focused on a single leaf you won't see the tree
AHF- is this his first offense? Any priors? Criminal mischief can be misdemeanor at various degree's depending on damage done. Will have to make restitution, etc. If it's his first offense for anything, more then likely get probation but will have to make restitution.