Heat wave - we need a fantasy vacation!

Mattsmom277

Right now its 41 degrees C, or 105.8 degrees F ... I'm cooped up indoors and actually spent the entire day so far in my bedroom since the 2 ac's we have are in my room and easy child's room. The living room usually stays somewhat cool but today not so much. So I've been propped up on my bed all morning playing easy child games and watching television. I only went out once to check my mailbox and refuse to step a baby toe out there. Feel horrid that S/O's first day of work is in this heat, especially since his work involves working in hot conditions and the new employer also runs its own foundry so they are busy pouring molten steel. Yikes!

So I think its time for a board fantasy vacation of some type. Personally a iceberg adventure sounds lovely. How are you all faring if you are somewhere affected by this heat wave? Its the humidity portion thats the worst for me. My kingdom for the days of old when I could have a banana split to cool me off!

InsaneCdn

How about a trip to Churchill, Manitoba?
Its not an iceberg - but certainly no heat wave.
Real adventure just to get there... (only options are rail or plane)
... and once you're there, you can go... polar bear watching!

If that's too wild, you could try fly-in-fishing (almost any prov has some of that!)
Most good fishing outfitters even have an ice house - so if you do get a bit warm (unlikely), you can always go visit the ice house.

p.s. WE were complaining when it hit 32 (deg. C)!

Last edited:

Mattsmom277

ooooh ... I like Churchill. It is actually where S/O and I have been speaking of moving in 2 years. Mind you might not happen now if this job is as enjoyable as it sounds. But yay, fantasy Churchill vacation! I'm in!!!

I just heard it is 51C in Toronto with the humidity! OMG! Just shoot me. Trinity must be in misery today

witzend

Right now it's 67 degrees and I'm sitting in long pants, a jacket and my Uggs. We have to turn the lights on all day because there's not enough daylight to see clearly in the house. You're welcome to sleep on the blowup mattress for a while!

donna723

It's 'only' 95 degrees here today and the humidity is still high. I keep thinking of my poor son! He works as a welder in a big non-air conditioned place that makes huge steel beams that are used in commercial construction. And while they're working, they have to wear long pants, long sleeved shirts, and a big welding helmet! There's no heat in the buildings either so they freeze in the winter and swelter in the summer. I wouldn't last five minutes if I tried to do his job!

klmno

Heat Index of 110-118 here today, depending on the source, and it's supposed to be hotter tomorrow. I'm packing now to go to Witz's house for the rest of the summer.

trinityroyal

Right now it is 41 degrees celsius in Toronto, 51 with the humidity. That translates to 105 and 123 in Farenheit. It is hot, hot, HOT out there. And I've been traipsing around in it all day -- first to meetings at one of my regional offices, then to get the oil changed in my car, and then a quick trip to the mall -- not to buy anything, just to cool down in the air conditioning a bit after sitting in the sweltering mechanic's office. Now I'm a pretty tropical being, and hot humid weather doesn't usually bother me, but today is too hot even for me. I am eternally grateful that my house has central air -- even I need it today, and with Little easy child and the Tot Monsters being asthmatic, they couldn't breathe without it.

Now let's see...as for fantasy vacations, how about a dog sled trip. Nunavut anyone?

Mattsmom277

Several friends in Toronto said they are feeling very ill just from getting to work this morning and going out for lunch on their break. I bet its higher than 51C if you factor in the cars and the heat trapped between buildings. So glad I have no reason to head south this summer.

My easy child is camping in Algonquin Park all of this week. Glad they have a motor home so they can get out of the heat when they want to, and hopefully the site is super close to the water!

KTMom91

Just checked our thermometer...105.6 outside, with 17% humidity. I'm pretty much all right with the dry heat, the swamp cooler does a decent job; but those few days of high humidity...OMG. I bow down to those of you who deal with it every year - A/C or not.

H

HaoZi

Now it feels like summer - hot, sticky, but with a lot less skeeters than home. A good day to enjoy how pretty how it is while enjoying central A/C.

tiredmommy

Trinity- I'm glad your family has central ac... I worry for those in T.O. that don't. Our local tv news was reporting about the heat as I was just amazed that so many people were coping with the intense heat.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't mind the hot so much, the humidity though..........just wipes me right out. Our heat index hit 111 or so when easy child and I were done shopping around noonish.......I decided to stop looking after that, it was just making me hotter. lol

That's something I wonder about the "heat index" though. I don't remember having it as a kid, or at least if it did I never heard about it. And no one gave too much thought to going out and about in 90 some degrees either. Oh, they'd say it was hot, but keep on doing what they were doing anyway. Sometimes I wonder if the term heat index and the windchill thing actually make us feel hotter or colder like a power of suggestion type thing.

I'm for vacationing at Witz's with her 60 degrees!!! lol

H

HaoZi

In FL I always heard about heat index and the UV index. Up here I hear about wind chill and lake effect stuff.

donna723

I don't know if they had even invented the term, "heat index" when we were kids. We lived in St. Louis then and it was blistering hot in the summer. We didn't have air conditioning at home or in school and we were used to the heat. We never watched the news or the weather reports and we had no idea what the temperature was, we just knew it was hot and some days were hotter than others. We still played outside all day, every day! If we got really hot we'd come in and get a big glass of water and then go right back outside again!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yup donna, we did the same. I grew up in central Illinois. By this time of year it was always hot, and like you said, some days were hotter than others. I remember August always being beastly. And we had to AC either. Heck we only had 1 box fan. lol

trinityroyal

Trinity- I'm glad your family has central ac... I worry for those in T.O. that don't.

When the weather gets like this, the city opens up Cooling Centres, usually in municipal buildings around the city. They are air conditioned, open 24 hours, and offer a place for people to sit, cool off, drink water, etc. if they're finding it unbearable at home.

And the city has reopened most of the public pools, which were closed last summer. Between the centres, the pools and the lake (water's clean enough to swim in again!), people are coping pretty well.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well there is "GOOD" news for those of you hating the heat.......

Due to the EXTREME heat this LONG Spring/Summer...(Thanks to El Nina~) <---pretend that tilde is in the correct spot. The Winter forthcoming is predicted to be one of the coldest, snowiest and nastiest on record. If you heat with wood? Be the Ant and not the Grasshopper; start stockpiling NOW.