Heath Ledger

slsh

member since 1999
I am just truly sick at heart. Last week Brad Renfro, today Heath Ledger. I may be jumping the gun, but I'm assuming it was drugs and it just makes me livid. What a phenomenal waste.

It's earned my kids a very stern talking to yet again about drugs and what a waste they are. They wouldn't have known Brad from Adam, but "A Knight's Tale" is one of our favorite movies.

Such an incredibly stupid loss.

Kathy813

Staff member
My difficult child just phoned to give me the news. You can be sure that I got a few comments in about the dangers of drug use (and threw in alcohol abuse for good measure). TMZ. though, is saying that it might have been an accidental overdose and that prescription drugs were found by his body.

I'll always remember him as Mel Gibson's son in The Patriot. My girls and I used to swoon over him in that movie.

difficult child says her favorite Heath Ledger movie was Ten Things I Hate About You.

I feel sorry that his little girl will never know her dad.

~Kathy

mstang67chic

Going Green
What a shame and a waste. Horrible as it sounds, I'm hoping it's an accidental OD. I didn't think he was really into the whole party drug scene. And his poor little girl. She's so young and won't really have any memories of her father other than watching movies. How terribly sad.

tinamarie1

Our local news online says that police stated he was found lying naked in bed with a bottle of sleeping pills and that several were missing. So sad..I really think he was a great actor.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
omg - this is the first I heard. How terribly sad and devastating. He was a great aspiring actor and I just loved him in 10 Things I Hate About You. How sad.

nvts

A Knights Tale was the one for us! I'm so sorry that this happened. I do hope it was accidental.

Golden Years...they don't last. :(

Beth

mstang67chic

Going Green
Actually he is the new Joker. If you google image Heath, you'll get pics of him in makeup. Evidently he finished filming on the movie though. Someone told me earlier that as he is one that really gets into his parts, the Joker role threw him because the character is so psychotic and he was having trouble sleeping. I'm pretty sure that's just a rumor at this point but maybe that's why he had the sleeping pills?

Lothlorien

I've just learned about this from this thread too! How sad. I looked this up and it said that he had pneumonia and died from a sleeping pill overdose. It appears accidental, if what I read is true. Sickening and sad.

F

flutterbee

He was so young and so talented. What a shame.

I didn't know about it, either, until I saw this thread and then googled info. How sad. I just DVR'd Brokeback Mountain over the weekend.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Very sad here, too. I also didn't know the news until I saw this thread, and went & read some internet news. I also read he had been having trouble sleeping, and thus the pills. I don't know if he had any history of problems with drugs or SA, I got the sense this was accidental. What a tragic loss for the movie-going public, but moreso for his family.

Rest in Peace, Heath. You will be greatly missed.

Peace

Marguerite

husband & I have been watching the Aussie news all day. It broke at about 9 am our time in Sydney. At this stage, the status of the story - the police do not think there is anything suspicious. It is even possible this was neither suicide nor drug overdose (at least not in any deliberate chemical abuse way).

Rumours of him being found naked have not been backed up. Same thing with "pills scattered around the body" - they're now saying he was found unconscious/asleep, with a number of prescription bottles in his name, in the room.

His parents in Perth released a statement in which they insist this was not suicide, but also mentioning he was suffering from pneumonia. And yes, he had finished filming a Batman movie as Joker.

Anything more is speculation - if he had been prescribed various medications and then developed pneumonia, it wouldn't be too difficult to accidentally take more than your body could handle. A sleeping pill when you're otherwise fit and healthy is very different to a sleeping pill when you're already having some trouble breathing. It's why some cough suppressants are dangerous, if you NEED to cough to keep your airways clear. Sometimes it can be that simple.

But whatever the eventual explanation - it won't bring him back.

He really was a brilliant, dedicated actor who put a lot of effort into every film he did. I remember watching interviewed with him about "Brokeback Mountain" (I think he deserved an Oscar for that one). He described how he chose the manner of speaking for his character as the guy needing to punch his words through a tightly clamped mouth, as if using a clenched fist behind his words. Something in the character of the part, the internal conflict and the inconsistencies in other aspects of the character - he really dug deep to play that role. It took a lot of courage for both those actors, not an easy (or popular) topic. But it was about far more than sexuality - it was about relationships, communication and what we do to ourselves, as much as anything else.

My favourite film of his - "10 Things I Hate About You". I think my girls both prefer "A Knight's Tale".

He was very good at playing flawed characters, nothing one-dimensional about the man or the roles he played.

Very definitely - he will be sorely missed.

Marg