Hello Mom? Do you think I could be Bipolar?

DammitJanet

Mood swings are classic of borderline PD star. Also...your son has the classic early childhood for borderline if you ever read the "why it can occurs". A kid who has been abused...especially sexually...or lived in an invalidating environment is ripe to develop borderline.

It can be hard to tease out borderline from bipolar in some people. I can now tell which of my episodes are borderline episodes and which are bipolar periods but that is because I have really worked hard on this. I didnt even know I was borderline for years but looking back I know I showed all the classic signs of both borderline and bipolar for years.

I wasnt as abused as Dude but my mom was one sick puppy herself. I also have lived through childhood sex abuse and all that jazz. I do feel for these kids...you know that. I was one of them...heck I still am.

I really think that he needs to see someone who can tease out if he is BiPolar (BP) or Borderline (BPD)...and then...instead of normal therapy...try DBT. CBT isnt enough and it wont really help a person who has borderline as much as DBT will.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet - Thanks - What is DBT and why is it better? Currently he's stopped all medications and therapy. Nothing I can do except encourage him to seek out help. He has no money and Medicaid so mental health said they could see him but he has to call.

I love this state - loveeeeeeeee it.

DammitJanet

Star...do a search for Dialectical Behavioral Therapy online and even on yahoo groups. They have a online group for it there.

DBT is something I think you would LOVE!!!!

SunnyFlorida

Star, go to the General Archives. Fran found some articles a year or so ago on BiPolar (BP) that are very easy reading and give lots of information.

I'm a lithium fan as well. difficult child 1's psychiatrist said, if lithium is going to work we'd know in 3days. Well sure enough, difficult child felt better right away.

Any medications for Mental Health can only do so much. The rest has to be changes made by the individual with or without any additional therapy.

I like the idea of dude asking to be tested. The psychiatrist usually gives the client a symptom questionaaire to fill out.