Hello...My name is Butt!

DammitJanet

We have reached the potty words stage.

I tried desperately not to laugh while my adorable granddaughter looked up at me and said "Grandma, your name is Butt!" and then broke down in gales of laughter. She also proclaimed that it was so funny!

Everyone's name is Butt. She is also pretending she has no clothes on and is "going nakey"

I asked her where she learned this and she said...school...lol.

Ahhh....phases. This one is so pleasant because she can talk so much clearer. I guess I should gear up for the Why phase next.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL

Nichole has nipped this one in the bud. Aubrey has learned there are "grown up words" she's not allowed to say. On the other hand, now if you slip around her she calls you on it. lol

Too cute Janet. I'm hoping none of my grandkids go thru the Why stage. All my kids skipped it, so far.....so have the grands. :D

DammitJanet

Well I hope this is short lived. On the other hand I just cracked up when she was sitting next to me and looked out the window and caught a glimpse of the guy mowing the yard and exclaimed "Oh my god grandma! That boy is mowing the grass!"

It was the OMG that got me...it was just so clear as a bell. Just a few months ago I was worried because she didnt seem to be talking as clearly as I thought she should be and she wasnt stringing very many words together. Maybe only 4 or 5 words. Now its long sentences with pretty proper uses of me and I and you and yours. Its like she waits on things and then takes off in a hurry. She was slow to crawl and walk then started running when she was barely walking...lol.

susiestar

Roll With It
The Why?? stage ends???

Wow. When does it end? Wiz is 17, should he have grown out of it???

We used "grownup words" and told the kids that they had to wait until they were grownups. I used the excuse that there had to be some perks to growing up or no one would want to.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
A friend of mine taught me the best response to the "Why" question is.....................drumroll, please.................

............"That's not a why question."

:rofl:

I'm not kidding. It shut Rob up every time.

Suz

Marguerite

The potty words - we said them back to the kids and then said, "what is funny about it?"
Example - "You said 'bum'? Why is that funny? You have a bum, I have a bum, everybody has a bum. So why bother talking about it? It's not really polite, but it's also not funny. It just IS. Now let's talk about something else. You want to learn about funny? Then try THIS on for size..." and I then teach the kid some age-appropriate jokes, usually puns (because kids that age LOVE puns, especially ther obvious corny stuff). And the more jokes you teach them, the more they take to school and use back on the kids trying to be funny by saying silly words.

I remember teachnig easy child some limericks. Because she was going to an inner-city school (a bit of a ghetto area) I had given up on worrying about language. So I included the one about the young man from Australia. A year or so later when we moved her to the village school she told that one to her teacher. He took me aside and said, "Did you know she was telling this limerick? She stood up and said it in class, said you had taught her. Is that true?"
I admitted it was, then told him a limerick that I wouldn't tell my kids until they were 18.
He saw the difference and was OK with it after that.

But there are some great limericks for little kids. Although Janet, she may not yet be ready for them. But in a couple of years, let me know and I'll send you some for her. Clean ones.

For now, you need jokes like, "Why did the mouse leave home?"
"Because his father was a rat."

Or a joke a friend of ours invented when she was 3 -
"What do you use to cut wood with under the ocean?"
"A sea saw".
Or is that tricky? In Australia we call the playground equipment a see-saw, I believe other people call it a teeter-totter.

But potty words - not funny. We didn't react with shock, we didn't react with disgust or with laughter. None of the "oh, it's cute" because it very quickly is NOTcute. Instead, we reacted with boredom and re-education. And we taught our kids to be quickly condescending about potty words, a sort of, "Oh, that was SOOOOO last week... I am so grown up now, I'm far too mature for such silly stuff; after all, I'm almost three years old, I've only got 11 months to go."

I'm not a grandma yet, Janet. Not sure when that will happen. At least another year, and then a few more years before this is a problem.

I can't wait...

Marg

DammitJanet

I just told her little girls dont talk that way. She is really into the difference between girls and boys. Especially good, princessy girls. LOL. Though I suspect she is growing into her more tough, I can take care of myself, years. She is the middle and only girl in her family on her mothers side and since Cory has no more kids, only child on his side. She is almost bigger than her older brother...lol.

KTMom91

There's a book about Naughty David (or something like that), and David doesn't want to take a bath, so he runs outside with no clothes on. Even second graders crack up at that. And Captain Underpants...I can't even count the number of times I've asked, "Why is underwear so funny? Doesn't everyone wear them?"

And the answer was, "Yes, Mrs. G, but you aren't supposed to wear them on the outside!"

TerryJ2

LOL!
I remember doing the "everybody has a butt" kind of discussion with-easy child when she was little. Then she got to asking about cows and dogs ... and finally figured out that everything has private parts ... except for houses and chairs ... but we're not supposed to talk about private parts."
It still makes me laugh. I love their little voices and the innocence and skewed perspective. I mean, how can you draw any conclusions when you don't have all the facts? And even it you did, it would be too overwhelming.
So, we let them be kids ... :) Sigh.

DammitJanet

Im amazed that her choice words are butt and nakey to be honest. The people around her dont have the cleanest mouths. I dont think she thinks those words are funny though. This was clearly her foray into humor. She loves to laugh.

Billy calls her his monkey. Always has since she has been a baby. She will run into the house and say "Uncle Billy, your monkey is here" and make monkey sounds. Then burst into giggles. She really likes to do that if we go into Radio Shack when he is working...LOL.