Hello, new here

giggleseasy

Glad I'm not alone.
Hello, my name is Diane and I am a single mom of 2 daughters, one is 5 and the other is 8, I am also a full time college student. My 5 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with O.D.D., and Post Traumatic Stress, and I am at a loss as to help her. My 8 year old is perfectly well mannered and well behaved, and she suffers the wraith of my 5 year old more than anyone else. I don't know what to do, I don't want to have to put her on medicines, does anyone have any advice?:faint:

JulienSam

Diane --

Welcome! I don't have much advice since we've just recently started our journey, but many of the other parents on this site have a great deal of knowledge since they've "been there, done that". Just know that you're not alone!

((HUGS))

Julie

BusynMember

Who diagnosed her? What symptoms does she have?
Are there are psychiatric problems or substance abuse on the family tree? Does she make good eye contact, know how to socialize with other little peers, have good speech, imaginative play? Tell us a little more about what you are seeing and who has diagnosed her. Welcome!

GinAndTonic

Yup, difficult child = Gift From God. Our special kids.It's probably not how most of us think of our kids when we're posting here... easy child = Perfect Child, i.e. one who doesn't have any issues related to this board.

giggleseasy

Glad I'm not alone.
Who diagnosed her? What symptoms does she have?
Are there are psychiatric problems or substance abuse on the family tree? Does she make good eye contact, know how to socialize with other little peers, have good speech, imaginative play? Tell us a little more about what you are seeing and who has diagnosed her. Welcome!

Her Pediatrician, and our local mental health office, she is very very anti social, unless she gets to know someone, she also has a phobia about being touched, she can't handle it at all. she doesn't have very imaginative play, she throws frequent tantrums for the sole purpose of hearing her own voice *at least thats what it feels like*, she becomes very vengeful if she doesn't get her way, she laughs in your face when being spoken sternly to, she is very rough almost harmful to the pets. Yes there are psychiatric problems in the family tree, my mother was in and out of the mental wards and my difficult child's father has threatened to kill her if he ever gets his hands on her. He has a history of mental illness and is very abusive. I'm scared, I love my child so much, and I just want to be able to help her. The doctors feel that she came out of the womb with PTSD *doesn't that make ME feel lovely*, because of all the stress and turmoil of my pregnancy.

giggleseasy

Glad I'm not alone.
I don't know if he was being serious or not, but he certainly seemed very serious at the time but she did come straight out of the womb this way, from a baby she was very ....I don't know how to put it, there has always been something not quite right with her, and it breaks my heart, because she is such a sweet sweet little girl, it hurts me to watch my family members show preference for my easy child and my sisters 'easy child' and just brush on by my difficult child.

SRL

Her Pediatrician, and our local mental health office, she is very very anti social, unless she gets to know someone, she also has a phobia about being touched, she can't handle it at all. she doesn't have very imaginative play, she throws frequent tantrums for the sole purpose of hearing her own voice *at least thats what it feels like*, she becomes very vengeful if she doesn't get her way, she laughs in your face when being spoken sternly to, she is very rough almost harmful to the pets. Yes there are psychiatric problems in the family tree, my mother was in and out of the mental wards and my difficult child's father has threatened to kill her if he ever gets his hands on her. He has a history of mental illness and is very abusive. I'm scared, I love my child so much, and I just want to be able to help her. The doctors feel that she came out of the womb with PTSD *doesn't that make ME feel lovely*, because of all the stress and turmoil of my pregnancy.

I wouldn't buy that PTSD diagnosis without a thorough assessment and it doesn't sound like that's been done. The lack of imaginative play and antisocial behaviors are major red flags for Autistic Spectrum Disorders. Many kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)'s don't like to be touched due to Sensory Integration Disorder.

Observe her eye contact and ask her teachers and caregivers to do the same.

Does she line up toys or other household objects? How about collecting unusual stuff like sticks, rocks, etc.

Does she have any obsessive interests?

giggleseasy

Glad I'm not alone.
She has PTSD, our mental health worker has said that, the paediatricians are the ones that said that about her coming out of the womb with it..not the worker. She does not collect odd objects, she will make eye contact but can't stay looking at you, she is very fidgety when trying to keep eye contact.

trinityroyal

she will make eye contact but can't stay looking at you, she is very fidgety when trying to keep eye contact.

I agree with SRL about the possibility of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
Eye contact, inappropriate affect, rages, sensory issues, lack of imaginative play, all point in that direction.

Has your difficult child been evaluated by a neuropsychologist? Many of the board parents have had good success with them. The evaluations are intense and thorough, and can pick up on neurological issues that may not be found through other means.

A child on the spectrum might not show all of the "classic" autistic behaviours, especially if he or she is closer to the Asperger's end of things, but several of the behaviours you describe do suggest it.

Speaking as one who is on the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) spectrum myself, as a child I learned to mimic eye contact by looking just above and between someone else's eyes, or slightly to one side or the other.

giggleseasy

Glad I'm not alone.
Speaking as one who is on the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) spectrum myself, as a child I learned to mimic eye contact by looking just above and between someone else's eyes, or slightly to one side or the other.
This exactly what she does..I'm sorry, y'all will have to forgive me, I just found this out this week and I'm still very much in the shock part.

SRL

I would really like to see you have a thorough evaluation done on her. I'm really uncomfortable with a diagnosis of PTSD in a child so young when all the bases haven't been covered.

These assessments are what parents here have found the most accurate for initial diagnostic purposes:

1) developmental pediatrician or pediatric neuropsychologist. If there are red flags for Autism then an Autism clinic is a good option.
2) pediatric occupational therapist for motor skills and sensory integration
3) audiology
4) speech/language for language delays, differences and social communication skills

You might want to run through this. It isn't accurate if there aren't early speech delays but it can be helpful nonetheless.

giggleseasy

Glad I'm not alone.
I would really like to see you have a thorough evaluation done on her. I'm really uncomfortable with a diagnosis of PTSD in a child so young when all the bases haven't been covered.

These assessments are what parents here have found the most accurate for initial diagnostic purposes:

1) developmental pediatrician or pediatric neuropsychologist. If there are red flags for Autism then an Autism clinic is a good option.
2) pediatric occupational therapist for motor skills and sensory integration
3) audiology
4) speech/language for language delays, differences and social communication skills

You might want to run through this. It isn't accurate if there aren't early speech delays but it can be helpful nonetheless.

I took the test on the link, and Kailey scored 107 or moderate Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) I need help, I don't like feeling this helpless.

SRL

Hang in there--we've helped a lot of moms through this and we'll be with you every step that you need us.

First, print a copy of the screening tool so you can give a copy to your pediatrician. If you have to repeat it, go ahead but you'll want copies for your own file and one to share.

This is an article that outlines how to approach your pediatrician to get the assessments you need. He or she should be familiar with local resources and should be able to direct you. Generally pediatric neuropsychologists, behavioral pediatricians or Autism Clinics do the most helpful evaluations in this area but your locale and state may have other options.
http://oreilly.com/medical/autism/news/getting_diag.html