Hello new to the board

maggie 4

Hello this is my fist post I'm a mom of 4 (3 girls 1 boy) I have a daughter who is devlopmentally delayed & autistic. I'm at my wits end with everything( seems like everytime I turn around something is goin on with my kids whether it's a teacher saying we think your child needs to be screened 4 this. I feel so overwhelmed with everything. Sorry I just had to vent No one seems to understand how I feel not even my SO.

Hi Maggie and welcome to the board!

You found a safe place to land.

Do us all a favor (we just got an awful lot of new people, it is hard to keep everyone straight!) Go to the "FAQ/Board Help" section and make a signature for yourself.

If you don't get a lot of responses tonight, fear not, they'll be coming out of the woodwork tomorrow!

Again, welcome~

nvts

Welcome to the club Maggie! Once you fill out your profile, you'll get a lot less repetition of the same questions.

How old are the kids? Is there only one with any type of diagnosis? Are they taking any medications? What are they looking for you to screen for NOW?

I know how you feel. I feel like everytime I just seem to "get a handle on things" it hits the fan 2x as hard!

There are a ton of us on here who know where you're coming from!

Stay strong and post whenever you're ready to vent! :wink:

Happy Turkey Day!

Beth

:thanksgiving2:

Marguerite

Hi Maggie and welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing your profile so I can understand more about your kids. I have two and a half autistic kids out of 4. It's the easiest way to describe it - easy child 2/difficult child 2 is borderline Aspie, her older brother is a definite Aspie and her little brother is moderate on the autism scale.

difficult child 3, my fully autistic one, failed his first IQ test. It's the only way to describe it. They told me he was "borderline" (borderline what? I asked, they refused to say the word 'retarded'). I've also found that trying to assess my older son - very difficult. They do tend to under-assess.

difficult child 3 has since tested as in the superior range. Definitely not retarded. But because his language development was severely delayed, and the IQ test was given verbally, he simply didn't have the language skills at the time of testing, to be able to demonstrate what he could do. Also some test, such as mazes, require good hand skills and he's hopeless with that. But he can solve mazes really well, on the computer. A lot of these tests are very subjective - one person will mark a kid as 'fail' if his pencil mark so much as touches the line he shouldn't cross, even where its clear the child simply is unco, and didn't intend to draw a line there. Others will interpret more broadly, based on what they perceive the child intended. This variation makes these tests fairly useless as a general guide to ability.

We were given a pessimistic prognosis for difficult child 3. It's been proved wrong, thoroughly. We just don't know what he can do, he keeps finding more ways to do things he shouldn't be able to understand.

He'll never be 'normal' but he will find his place, I'm certain. We've discovered he has an amazing brain in there.

Welcome to the board, I look forward to getting to know you and your family.

Marg

M

ML

Welcome! I have been away for a few weeks so I'm feeling out of touch with the new folks. Like Marg said, I look forward to getting to know you. My son is somewhere on the spectrum as well as ADHD. We're still searching for a diagnosis that fits.

\