Hello - New to the site

ShakinThingzUp

Hello
Just wanted to introduce myself before I start reading some of the existing threads....

My name is Amy. I am married with three kids ("yours, mine & ours")

Emma - our 19 month old, is so far just fine & hoping to keep her that way - as much away from all trauma as possible... here's hoping!

Megan - my husbands 14 year old daughter has Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) (Reactive Attachment Disorder). She was severely neglected by bio-mom (Dad was overseas in the army) & eventually sexually abused at 8-9 years old. She's come a very long way, and her healing shows. It's been a rough couple of years since we got her safe & living with us.

Hunter - my bio-son, 11 years old. Originally, he was ADHD & otherwise a pretty normal kid. His ADHD was controllable without medications & he just required extra attention. Then Megan moved in with us & the rest is history. In a 2 year period, she moved in & began abusing him verbally & physically, then his great-grandma & best friend passed away, then my husband (dad to him, even though not bio) went to Iraq for a year.
Now he also has anxiety/depression, which of course, amplifies the ADHD.

Now, add to all that my husband, Tom, who returned from Iraq about 2 years ago with PTSD a much different man...

I am one stressed out woman!

But, I have a very supportive family & some good friends, and God has seen me through.

Recently, I've been searching out more info that might help my son begin to heal better, which is how I found your forum. I'll be checking it out over the next week or so,and will post as I'm able.

God Bless!
Amy

KateM

Hey, Amy!

Welcome to our little corner of cyber world! It's a great place for support and info.

You sound like you've got alot on your plate! Glad you're here- let us know how we can help. :flower:

SnowAngel

Welcome aboard. Glad you found us. You may want to check out the FAQ / Board Help forum, as it helps with info and abreviations used here.

Also it is recomended for safety reasons not to use your real names. You can edit your post and use initials or nicknames if you'd like. Glad your here.

susiestar

Roll With It
Hi and welcome! This is truly a soft place for parents with kids like yours and mine.

We really do understand what you are going through. To take on a child with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) is a true act of love and generosity. A few of us here have that challenge.

I am glad you found us. REad, post, take what you need adn leave the rest iwth no insult taken by any.

Susie

Wiped Out

Staff member
Just adding in my welcome! You do have a lot going on. You will find a very supportive group here.

ShakinThingzUp

Thanks to everyone for your warm welcome. I haven't had much of a chance to read yet, but, from what I've seen so far - I'm not the only one with my hand full. Appears I'm in good company.

:smile:

God Bless!
Amy

ShakinThingzUp

My son is seeing a counselor. He began therapy a year after his sister came to live with us.... he saw that therapist for a year, then my husband came home from Iraq.

The deployment was so hard on all of us that we made a few changes due to it. I had quit my job during the deployment to help both kids. We were 2 1/2 hours away from any family. So, afterward, we moved "back home" to live near my family where we could have more support. Then, I got pregnant and had Emma.

There was an interim just after we moved where he was not in counseling. But, he has been back in counseling with this new counselor for about 8 months now. She is great with him.

He made some progress emotionally over the summer. What I'm noticing now is that it's not carrying over to his behavior.

He's been throwing tantrums like a toddler, etc. And, it almost seems as though he's still using emotional problems as an excuse to behave badly. Now - he's healed some & made progress - he is aware that he got away with more because of his need to heal...

Taking advantage of me?

I've been cracking down on behavior, but it requires a lot of diligence & attention to do it right. I'm back at work full time now, and that makes it hard.

ok..... I've really rambled now I think.

God Bless!
Amy