Help! any suggestions?

InsaneCdn

This is a fantastic forum, and I appreciate and respect those who are on here.

However... I'm not finding people who have any chance of understanding my particular situation.

Does anybody know of any really REALLY good, supportive forums for those dealing with family members who are affected by ONLY mental health and developmental issues? As in, no substance abuse, no illegal activity, working, contributing to household... but going down due to challenges and unmet needs.

(I will ask for this thread to be deleted later... private messages also welcome)

AppleCori

I, too, wish there were more people dealing with mental illness without the often-accompanying drug abuse.

I have a daughter with mental illness yet has never had a drug problem, but she definitely has challenges that my other kids don't have.

Let me know if you find anything.

Apple

nlj

Hi

My son doesn't have any drug abuse issues and I've been posting on here for several years. I'm not alone, there are plenty more with troubled sons and daughters without drug issues on here. Maybe sometimes it seems like that's the reason for everything, for all the cares and worries of all the people on here, but that's definitely not the case.

I also thought the PE forum was for all sorts of issues and the Substance Abuse forum was for those with specific problems related to drugs and alcohol etc.

InsaneCdn

Nami deals primarily with MI.
Unfortunately, we don't have that in Canada.

I also thought the PE forum was for all sorts of issues and the Substance Abuse forum was for those with specific problems related to drugs and alcohol etc.
@nlj Yes, SA is specific to substance abuse. But PE seems to be mostly about adult kids with extreme behavior issues - "conduct" problems. While mental illness gets discussed in that context, I haven't found any recurring themes - current or past - to do with, for example, suicide ideation, or social anxiety. If you know of any past threads along that line, can you point me in the right direction. Plus... not all of the kids are over 18, in which case, PE isn't the right forum. General has the same "flavour" as PE.

InsaneCdn

I'm not quite "as far away as you can get from Ontario", but close to it ;)

Thanks for that lead, though - it might help some other Canadian.

BusynMember

Great idea, Leafie.

InsaneC, there are also seperate forums other than this one for depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, anything you can think of. I don't know if they are as busy as this one, but they do exist.

Feeling Sad

Insane, I visit schizophrenia.com. They have a lot of active posters. They have a forum for caregivers. Parents, as well as, people with schizophrenia post and it helps me to hear about their real life experiences. It helps me to both understand what they and their parents are going through. I have found tons of actual cases that are very similar to mine. It does afford me comfort and resolve in my decisions. I also get more insight. I know more about specific issues in dealing with my son's type of mental illness. I am not alone.

I bet there are forums for caregivers in other types of mental illness. My son is not an addict. He is a paranoid schizophrenic. Most major types of mental illnesses...bipolar, autism, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), etc. have their own sites. There are also a lot of caregiver sites out there.

This site has helped me immensely. I will continue visiting this site. The comraderie is excellent. We are all in similar, abeit somewhat different, 'boats'. The compassion and support I have found here is immeasurable.

The toughlove aspect may change according to your childl's specific mental illness and behaviors.

I understand completely what you are saying. You want to hear from other parents that are faced with similar issues. You want to learn some new ideas for dealing with certain behaviors or mental states. You want to hear input from other parents that addresses your adult child's specific needs.

Insane, still come back to visit us...you would be missed. But, check into a specific forum, as well.

InsaneCdn

I bet there are forums for caregivers in other types of mental illness.
I can find the odd forum for most of the separate diagnoses we are dealing with. However, they are all extremely diagnosis-specific. If all you are dealing with is a single diagnosis, that works. Unfortunately... we are dealing with multiple diagnoses, where things that help one particular diagnosis make another particular diagnosis worse - and multiply that a few times over, because it isn't just 2 diagnoses, either.

I can't find anything out there that even remotely fits.

For the record - I'm not leaving here, no matter what else I find. I'm on here for a lot more reasons than this particular situation.

BusynMember

Hmmmmm. Putting on my thinking hat here.....and I didn't try this, but you can. Google up: Mental health, multiple diagnosis?????

Good luck!!!!!