Help! Chester is turning into a difficult child!

mstang67chic

Going Green
And I am positively MORTIFIED!!!

I have NEVER had a dog do this before for no reason. I don't know if it's because he still has his little berries or if it's something to do with the people involved (they may have dogs?) but I need help!

Tonight, for the SECOND time since we've had him, Chester LIFTED HIS LEG on a PERSON!!! Both times it was outside (fortunately) and both times it was on a man. Neither men were acting in any kind of a threatening manner....they were both just standing there when it happened. The first time was when I let the dogs out when the guy was in the yard working on our central air unit. Chester went up, sniffed a bit and then just......hiked. This time, I took him out front on his leash. The neighbor brought this guy over to see the father of the pups so I took Chester outside. I was talking to the neighbor and didn't even notice until the guy hollered and jumped back. He tried to go close to the neighbor a couple of times but after that I didn't let him. But the neighbor has been here before when I've had Chester out front and he's never done that.

I have never seen a dog do this except for "revenge" so I'm at a loss here. Any ideas?

(quit laughing Star)

mstang67chic

Going Green
Bubba's done that twice. It's been because he's over-stimulated.

Like a jumping on a person, Hi-Hi-Hi-Hi, dribbling kind of overstimulated? Because that wasn't the case here. We went outside, walked up to neighbor and the guy and he just went right to it.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Good to know. Rufus is neutered but he gets over-stimulated sometimes, too.

MEN!

It's all about a you-know-what contest.

lol

Get him neutered. If nothing else, it will keep him from procreating. At best it might help some of this dominance *stuff.*

Whatever you do...don't give up on Chester.

Hugs for your embarrassment,

Suz (Mother of "humparama Rufus" as his groomer named him :bag: )

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow. Sorry no answers there.

Rowdy has never ever done that one. He's embarassed for us to see him do his business in the yard. lol

I've never had a male that did that one.........some of the other things, but not that one.

Must be a way you can train him out of it though.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I haven't had that wonderful event yet.
Darcy lifts his leg so high that he seems to consistently aim for Lizzie's head. She is getting good at dodging his elevated leg. It's weird. Sometimes he tips over.

I can imagine how embarassed you were.

TM, roflmbo about them looking like a fire hydrant.

susiestar

Roll With It
I wonder if the men smelled like another dog? If they had male dogs, or maybe even unfamiliar female dogs, then this would be a way of establishing dominance or territory.

Neutering will help this, and establishing yourself as the supreme Alpha will also help. Dogs who are "intact" often do not see people as the Alpha, even if they let you think they do. This is one way they show it. Or so we ahve been told by trainers. If this gets any more firmly established, you may not be able to stop it without a LOT of work. If you don't neuter him, you may NEVER be able to stop it. Again, this is what we were told by trainers we asked advice from.

Hugs for the embarrassment!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
My husky did this one time, when I was sitting on the curb waiting my turn to take him into the vet. Another guy had come and sat down to wait with his dog near us, and my husky sniffed the guy and the dog and then peed on me. I think it was a territory thing...he was claiming his stake with that other dog around, so my guess is these guys maybe had other dogs? Hopefully neutering will help. Otherwise, just scold when he pees on a dude, and praise when he pees on a tree. Nothing ever makes me feel dumber than standing outside telling my dog its doing a good job while it potties in the yard...but it does work.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Possession is 9/10's of the stream.......

IF I PEE ON IT - IT IS MINE - FLUTTER IS 100% correct.

BYE BYE BERRIES.........and in about 5-6 weeks problem will correct itself.

OMG how did you EVER know I would be laughing......:tongue:

Males will also pp on their feet - it's a territorial thing - remember doctor did that? We did the clip and snip and viola - no more mr. pp feet.

susiestar

Roll With It
Male dogs pee on their feet??? I guess my brother's border collie is the only male dog I have had much experience with.

That is gross. Is it so they can spread the pee around more and mark their territory more? Or is it so they don't forget who they are and which scent is theirs? What happens if another dog pees on their feet? Do they forget which scent is theirs until they pee again? Do they develop multiple personalities, so that if more than one other dog pees on their feet they get a new personality for each scent?

If a dog has multiple personalities, do you have to train each personality about what behavior is OK and not to potty in the house?

How do you know if a dog has multiple personalities?

mstang67chic

Going Green
:surprise:

Susie...step AWAY from the Ritalin and back away slooooooooooooowly.

Or....

Maybe you need to take one. (or 5)

:rofl:

I called the vet this morning and their recommendation is to get his little berries snipped as soon as possible. It's a dominance thing and if he doesn't get snipped before he's 2 (and we don't know for sure how old he is) then it will be next to impossible to untrain this behavior. So....I'm looking into the ol' checkbook and figuring out how I can do this quickly.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Local shelters often have reduced deals worked out, too. Call the humane society or a second chance for info.

susiestar

Roll With It
CAAP is available in many communities (Companion Animal Assistance Program) and they may be able to help. You have to google them.

The vet may also have the forms for this or another program that can help.

I am NOT on Ritalin. I just have had about 4 hours sleep since Jess came home because if I sleep for an hour and a half she has to wake me up to open something. I am getting peeved with her.

At least I am amusing!!!