Help...daughter has to dress up like an 80s celebrity

mistmouse

My daughter has to dress up and look similar to an 80s female celebrity, can be any genre. My daughter is very slim, has long blonde hair, and blue eyes. I am having difficulty seeing her as anybody from the 80s, so if anybody has any suggestions we can use all help. Thanks in advance.

mistmouse

F

flutterbee

Think Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt from the 1985 movie Girls Just Want to Have Fun.

witzend

Cyndi Lauper? - Crazy...

Tiffany? - Tight jeans, sweater and boots?

Jennifer Beals - Cut up sweatshirt?

Carrie Fisher? - Buns on the side of her head?

Mary Lou Retton? - Gym Tights?

Anyone from The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian

Jane Fonda? - Leg Warmers

Olivia Newton John? - See Jane Fonda

Nancy Reagan? - Red dress.

Michael Jackson? (I had to say it!)

Lothlorien

I was thinking Madonna. That's easy.

Oversized black sweatshirt, cut sleeves almost off (at the shoulders) White tank top underneath. Big shiny metallic belt. White capri leggings, booties. Lots of fake jewelry, black eyeliner and then see Mustang's post on 80's and read about hairstyle. Stiff stuff (I think they still sell it at Kmart).

Oh, and don't forget to tell her not to shave her armpits for a couple of weeks! (sorry, had to type that....lmbo)

meowbunny

Ms. PacMan?

I'd say Margaret Thatcher but the hair would be all wrong.

Princess Di.

This is sad. Surely there had to be other prominent women in the '80s besides pop stars.

mistmouse

Thanks for all the suggestions, they are appreciated. One teacher had suggested Debbie Gibson, but I am not sure how to have her dress up for that. I will look at the post for how to do the hair, but my daughter's hair is two inches past her waist and all one length. Guess that will make it easy to do "big hair", but how do I do that without ruining her hair. I am so challenged when it comes to costumes of any sort.

mistmouse

Marguerite

You can do the "big hair" thing with a really good sculpting gel. They generally brush out and definitely wash out. I used to do my girls' hair for ballet with sculpting gel. Forget the hair spray - gel was much faster, much easier and no fumes. Although if you've got glitter spray plus colour spray, you can do stripes, streaks plus all over glitter and do Cyndi Lauper, easily. For clothes - bad taste retro. Make-up - large false eyelashes and enough mascara so it looks like she has two dead spiders for eyes.

Now here's a gender bender thought - why doesn't she go dressed up as Fabio? Long blonde hair, blue eyes...

Marg

Lothlorien

Stiff stuff and a hair dryer! Tease the hair just a bit and then spray with Stiff Stuff and immediately use the hair dryer. We called that stuff Glamour Glue! Trust me, it will stick, but will wash out very easily. For another nice effect, you can spray a long streak with colored hairspray....also washes out. You don't have to worry about ruining her hair.

Debby Gibson's hair was above her shoulders, in the 80's. She used to wear that beret or cap all the time and she dressed like Madonna, but without all the black clothing and lace and also without the heavy eyeliner.

Star*

call 911........call 911
http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/history/nostalgia/1980s_nostalgia.html

Pretty neat 80's quiz - all years too.

I think she could find a wedding dress at a Goodwill fix her hair up and goes as Lady Dianna Spencer.

Other thoughts were:

Lucy - from Dallas

Goldie Hawn - Private Benjamin

Get a long brunette wig and go as Daisy Duke -

Die her hair black and go as one of the Ramones

Kim Bassinger - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Loretta Swit - Mash - that maybe 70's

Twiggy - model

Jerri Hall - model & Mic Jagger - of the Rolling Stones wife

Abba - (swedish girl singers)

Going back is hard...lol

Maybe we just wanted to FORGET the 80's????

She could go as a concert roadie - black concert Tshirt (I have mine from Led Zepplin) and a few "garnishments" of wardrobe.

I'll keep thinking -

But Olivia Newton John in Grease - either Sandra Dee or Sexy Sandee...seems to be good.

I detest Madonna. I think her influences made our generation promiscous and free without thought or care and years later after making her millions - she won't even allow her children to watch tv? Number 1 hypocrite in my book.

Lothlorien

I think her influences made our generation promiscous and free without thought or care and years later after making her millions - she won't even allow her children to watch tv? Number 1 hypocrite in my book.

Bravo!