help - hyper puppy

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Determined dog = human hair ripping...

A few years back Bubbles caught himself on an I-bolt and literally popped open his skin (the bolt was about 4 feet off the ground, no clue how he did this). Took 71 stitches to close it (at first). Emergency vet's office, he was trying to PLAY with another dog!

Later, we had to get a drain put in the wound, and lock him in the bathroom - he had chewed through sister in law's crate she lent us - and he chewed the door frame through!

Donna - how big WAS that crate? LOL!!!

donna723

Step, it was just a small plastic crate, the smallest size like what people usually put cats in. She was only ten weeks old at the time and Boston puppies are tiny at that age. She had enough room in there to be comfortable but not enough room where she could pee or poop in one end and sleep in the other because I was potty training her at the time.

Steely

You guys are great -
Mama5 (is that right?) I also have a Coyote mix and a Husky mix that now live with my son. They are a joy, just wonderful, except the husky mix does not like other dogs. We are working with him on that. The coyote mix is amazing - such an enigma. It took us forever to realize that he was part coyote, but that explained all of his strange behavior quirks. Any day the coyote mix can out run the Husky mix which I think is interesting.

As far the crate training stories - my sister Heidi had a pit bull of her own Petey, and her friend had one named Thor. Well, Thor had such separation anxiety that he would chew the window sills off, the door jams off, eat the tile, etc. Finally one day he literally put his head through a window trying to get his owner back. He escaped and was missing for a couple of days. So long story short, Heidi finally adopted Thor. Petey was crate trained and Heidi was not about to leave 2 pits in the house alone while she was at work so she got a crate for Thor. She came home, not once, but many times, to Thor having hurled his crate throughout the house, and most of the time his crate ended up lodged in a corner, on its side, and Thor upside down. I don't remember all the details, but finally Heidi kept Petey crated, and let Thor lie next to Petey on a blanket. It truly solved all of Thor's separation issues, although it made Heidi nervous not to have them both crated.

Today Tesla and I have gone on one long walk, a car ride, and then sat in the sand dunes while she dug holes. That seems to be her fav - just jumping and digging in the sand. I guess it was all of ours as kids?:) I will probably take her on one more walk, just to keep her calm and for my weight loss plan.:)

Again - I love all of your stories - and anything you can add to help with my husky mix accepting Tesla into the pack when we are both at my son's would be great. So far, he is SO not pleased.

donna723

There is nothing quite like a determined dog on a tear! My former sister in law & brother in law used to have a huge dual-personality trained German Shepherd. He was a sweetheart actually, just wanted to chase a tennis ball 24/7, and so gentle with children that my daughter and niece played with him when they were toddlers. But heaven help anyone who came in to their house uninvited! He was a great dog though. He also had quite a bit of separation anxiety. They didn't want to crate him and didn't want him getting in to things in the house while they were gone so they'd put him in their utility room when they went out. He did OK for a while but then one day he had a total meltdown and ate the door right off their dryer!

Steely

Awwww.... poor puppy. I hope they crated him after that!
I am afraid I may be breeding separation anxiety in Tesla by being home so much. I hope not.

Andy

To get your husky mixed to accept Tesla, try introducing them and allowing them to spend time together away from the husky's territory. Take them both to play in the sand dunes.

The husky mix is at a higher level of being tense over the newcomer because he is still in protective mode of the property.

I would try short times - 5 to 10 minute of introduction - the next day add 5 minutes of getting to know each other, ect.

This may not always work but worth a try?