Help....I'm deluged by flies!

Lothlorien

Last year, someone posted about leaving water with dish soap and lemon juice or something?? What is that fly remedy? We went peach picking last week and the flies just came out in droved and are all over my house from the peaches. I can't get them with the fly swatter. Usually, I can, but these are quick and I can't even get near them! Help!

AllStressedOut

Common house flies or fruit flies? For fruit flies I use sweet wine...they love it, drink it and drown in their sorrows. When you have quite a few dead ones, you'll want to pour them down the drain and start afresh. I think the dead ones serve as a warning to the live ones. LOL House flies, well, I have a sharp shooter who is great with rubber bands, so no common cure in my brain for those ones, sorry!

Kathy813

Staff member
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe totoro could ship you one of her spiders. </div></div>
:rofl: :rofl:

~Kathy

Josie

I discovered by accident that they like champagne. I put a little bit of dish soap in, too. I couldn't quite get rid of them that way so I started spraying them with vegetable wash spray when I saw them. That finally got rid of the rest of them. I had them for months.

From the sounds of it, Totoro could RIDE one of her spiders over to you.

It sounds like her spiders are about the size of a...Great Dane.

susiestar

Roll With It
You can go to the hardware store or grocerystore and get these little hanging strips that are sticky on both sides. They catch the flies on them. I owuld hang them over the peaches, over the sink, and anywhere else they are in large numbers.

This is the best method I have found for them. Also remember not to leave wet dishrags or towels laying around. For some reason they can breed in those. GROSS!!

Anyway, I have severe allergies and any bug sprays really set me off. So we have used htese things for years. Not sure the brand, but they are way cheap. Sometimes I can find them at Walmart, or IGA, but usually I go to the local hardware store.

Susie

They say hairspray will stop most flying things dead in their tracks.

I always meant to try that.... :smile:

You will have to let us know how it works, if you do try it!

Barbara

SRL

LOL. that sounds like a great solution for those Asian lady bug beetles. I haven't seen a native ladybug since they invaded. I had such fond memories of lady bugs when I was a child. My kids view them as pesky, biting intruders.

I use dish soap and vinager set out in a cup on the counter for the fruit flies, Loth. It works great and it's cheap.

Lothlorien

I think I'll stay away from the hairspray. I don't think husband would be too happy about having to repaint my walls.

BBK--their hair looks great too (lmbo!) Too funny.

I put a bowl with juice and dish soap, because I thought that's what the remedy was last time it was posted, but there is not one fruit fly or other fly even near it. I have to go google it later.

Kathy813

Staff member
How about Windex? It worked for everything in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

by the way, I had ants in my classroom this year and my students were complaining about them ~ I didn't have anything to kill them with so I used Windex.

It worked!

~Kathy

busywend

I tried to reply last night but I can only be on CD for so long before I start getting timing out messages. UGH!

Fruit flies - get rid of the reason they are there - the fruit. Also, empty garbage daily.

House flies - those strips of sticky whatever have worked before, keeping a fly swatter handy, I think they are drawn to sugar. Other than that - I got nothin'.

Star*

call 911........call 911
:rofl: Seems we have many commedians here....so I'll add mine.

Lothlorien,

You have gone from LORD of the RINGS.....to LORD OF THE FLIES.

- ducking the looks. :faint: