Help with dog?

witzend

OK, so we have absolutely fallen for Mandy, the 11 month old Lab mix that we have taken in. Even Bubba the curmudgeon dalmatian is warming up to her. It's hard not to, she's such a happy go lucky goof-ball.

She does have some issues, though. (What other type of creature would come to our house, anyway?) While she is technically house-trained, she doesn't seem to know how to go potty by herself. She has had two accidents in the house, one the first day, and two weeks later this weekend. She walked to the door, turned around, and let loose. She had been acting all goofy and lost track of it, and I think that it isn't unusual for her age.

On the other hand, I know she was in the crate a lot when she last lived with a family. And when she was being trained in the correctional facility, she was in the crate unless it was training time, and the boys were actively spending time with her.

The problem being, I am beginning to realize that she doesn't know what to do when I let her outside by herself. She gets about four feet out then comes right back to the door and wants in. When she goes out with us she wants to play play play, and piddles here and there. She doesn't ever actively seek out a spot to go. I don't know that I have ever actually seen her go up to the door to ask to go out.

Any ideas on how I can get her to know that just going outside by herself to go potty? I'm working with the letting her outside as soon as I get home and let her out of her crate. Even then she just tinkles a little bit then doesn't ask to go back outside again. That's how she ended up going all over the floor the other day - she didn't go completely when I let her outside when I came home.

Hi,

I would take her out on a leash, with NO playing allowed till she "finds her spot" and goes a good amount. Then walk her, on leash, back into the house and let her play. I would do this often for a few days, till she gets the idea of going out side means "going" outside! LOL!!

This has worked with most of my dogs. I have tried crate training, but with all the little people in our house, it doesn't work nearly as well as taking her every hour or so on leash to the spot I want her to go!

Good luck!!!
Vickie

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I did pretty much the same thing that Vickie just described when Chloe first moved in. I took her outside on a leash and repeated, "time to pee pee" (or poop) and stayed out there until she did. I have one of those retractable leashes so Chloe could venture off a little but I could make a noise or retract the leash a bit if she got distracted before she did her job.

We went out every hour on the hour that I was home for the first 3 weeks probably. If I was home and was too busy to keep track of Chloe's activities, she went in her crate, otherwise she was out of the crate but I was always watching her to see what signals she gives off before she has to go out.

It also helps to have the old girls out there to "teach" and my old girls always love to go outside. So have Bubba go out there and show Mandy what's up. Just like kids, I've found that dogs like to emulate and gain approval from their doggy elders.

When I get home from work she's so excited to see me that she only tinkles about a teaspoon at a time. I've learned that I have to let her/them out, then basically hide until she's pees, then goes to the door to look for me, then runs off and pees some more, then comes back to the door, etc. It's pretty funny.

Chloe still has accidents every once in awhile but she's come a long way. Patience is the name of the game, that's for sure.

Suz

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I imagine with her background having a yard is exciting for her. Vickie has a good suggestion. I always leash train my dogs to potty on the leash First, then once they had that idea down, will let them try on their own in the yard.

My neighbors look at me weird. I have the only dogs around that potty on command. :rofl: But hey, if it's pouring rain or 20 degrees you sure don't want them deciding it's play time. I give them the "go pee" command, then follow it with a "hurry up" if they get distracted while tugging on the leash to get their attention.

Mine I also took every hour til I was sure they had the idea down. Plus they went out after eating, drinking, and playing, or when they'd been napping in the crate. If your cleaning or doing something where you have no one who can keep an eye on her, put her into the crate. I like to think of it as a doggie playpen. lol

She's gonna have an accident or three while getting used to her new environment and what you expect from her. :smile:

witzend

Thanks, all. I am going to try the leash idea. Unfortunately, having Bubba help won't work, because she just harasses him when they go out together, and he doesn't get to go. She just chases him all over the yard. I think I will have him go out without the leash, and her with. That way maybe she will pick up on what he is doing, and he won't feel so helpless. I couldn't go potty with someone yapping in my face, either!

Steely

And don't forget to keep some treats in your pocket so that every time she "potties" she gets a treat. She will get it really quick with treats and a leash. My dogs also know what "potty" means, and they go to the nearest tree with that command, it just takes working with them. My new puppy, only 10 weeks old, is already potty trained just by taking him out every hour, and giving him praise and treats for going "potty".
Good luck!

K

Kjs

When we got our puppy she would not go outside alone. We stood out in the rain in the middle of the yard for so many nights I thought she would never leave our feet. I would bring her out and run back to the door, only to have her beat me there. I tried tying her up in the back yard. She cried, and barked. That lasted about 6 weeks. She still wants us outside with her, but she leaves our feet and runs around. I can leave her outside without her crying. I think it just takes some getting use to the new home. The need for security being next to you. I am sure she will wander off slowly.

Kathy813

Staff member
I used the treats method, also. Ten years later, Abby still expects a treat every time that she pees or poops outside.

What can I say? I'm a doggie pushover. :rofl:

Suz ~ I have read that toy dogs are harder to housetrain. It was certainly true for my Shih tzu. Have you found it any harder to train Chloe than your big dogs?

~Kathy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Do you train your dog/dogs to use one section of the yard as their bathroom? I'm hoping I can get the little buggers to use a portion.
Witz, I'm no help but I hope you don't mind that I added my own question.

Kathy813

Staff member
Hey Fran,

Good to see you. I didn't know that you got a dog(s). I thought you were done with all that.

As to your question, we go outside with Abby every time that she goes outside (we don't have a fenced yard). We used to use a leash and would only let her go to a certain pine straw area near our back door. She got used to that so now even when we let her go out without a leash (with us right there), she goes right to that same area. If she starts to wander off into the grass, all we have to say is, "pine straw, Abby" and she goes back to the right spot.

What type of dog did you get?

~Kathy

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks Kathy,
I haven't gotten them yet since my house is on the market to be sold. They are from the Rescue organization and are brother and sister. They are Great Pyrenees. Yes, big dogs. They are in foster care until I have a contract on this house or I move to Raleigh.
I had a 3 yr break but I have been looking at these sorts of dogs since I saw so many in New Mexico.
My concern is that they are 2yrs old and haven't been house dogs for a while but we will work on it. I don't want a mess all over the yard. I am going to just do as Suz said about patience.

You know, with all the dog training background, all the years working in vet clinics and all the advice given...

I'm still working on housebreaking our new pup. She does good but doesn't always give good signals when she wants out.

Actually, she has the majority of her accidents when the boys aren't paying attention to her. She knows that that is their time and doesn't come looking for me to let her out. When the boys aren't home, she's at my feet letting me know when she needs to go out.

She won't go in the front yard but runs out to the backyard and lays down until you close the gate. As soon as you turn around, she off popping a squat. Guess she's shy. ahahaha

My rott died this past April and she was trained to potty on command. Hopefully this little girl will learn that and learn it before it gets too cold to be standing around outside waiting.

Ah pups, aren't they fun!

Kathy813

Staff member
I just googled Great Pyrenees. Wow. Those are some big dogs. Beautiful, though. I hope you are buying a big house. You are going to need one. :rofl:

Have you found a house in Raleigh yet?

~Kathy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Suz ~ I have read that toy dogs are harder to housetrain. It was certainly true for my Shih tzu. Have you found it any harder to train Chloe than your big dogs?</div></div>

Yes...and no.

I've had 4 big dogs. Two were housebroken almost immediately and never were a problem (Molly is one). One took several months to be reliable and one had a "submissive peeing" problem for 2 years (that was Chelsea- it was horrible!).

Chloe can last all day in her crate and all night on the bed without a problem but just the other day I was sitting in the living room and she started to squat....I screamed :nonono: and hustled her outside in time but it showed me that she still needs to be watched :slap: .

Fran- Yes, you can train them to one spot. You have to make sure you take them there every single time so they leave their scent. You also want to make sure that it's a patch of land you don't mind dying :wink: .

Suz