Here goes nothing

Californiablonde

Two of the support secretaries in our office are retiring this year. We all just received notification through email that both of their positions are now available. I am going to apply, but I know I am not going to get it. Remember, I applied for another secretarial job in the district and they added a new, very difficult computer skills test that you have to pass in order to be considered. I failed the test miserably. I only got 6 questions right out of 96. The test was so, hard, you have to practically be an IT tech to pass it.

Anyway, my boyfriend sent me a cheat sheet for Excel, Word, and Microsoft that I can study. I am going to study like mad and take the test. You also have to pass a 50 wpm typing test. As hard as I try, I can only type 40 wpm. Oh, and they also said they are considering bilingual applicants first. That leaves me out. OH, and did I happen to mention my bilingual Spanish speaking supervisor is applying for the same jobs?

I don't stand a chance. But if my supervisor gets one of the positions, I will have a new supervisor who will for sure make me do all the calls. I am panicking. I am desperate. I am going to apply for these jobs out of sheer desperation. Almost 100 percent likely, I will fail the typing test straight away and be disqualified. If I happen to pass by sheer luck, I still have that computer skills test to pass, but I will most likely fail even though I am studying because at my age my memory is TERRIBLE. If I do happen to pass the computer test, I still have a written Math and English test to pass. I am not going to get either of these jobs, and I am panicking that with my supervisor gone I will be DOUBLING the amount of calls I make next year. I don't know what to do. This summer is already getting off to a very bad start!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
California

CALM down. Take a deep breath. Study as much as you can and go in there with a positive attitude. Do everything possible to prepare yourself.

Maybe you'll surprise yourself! Don't worry about things that MAY happen. I'm like that too but it's such a waste of energy.

Good luck.

Californiablonde

California

CALM down. Take a deep breath. Study as much as you can and go in there with a positive attitude. Do everything possible to prepare yourself.

Maybe you'll surprise yourself! Don't worry about things that MAY happen. I'm like that too but it's such a waste of energy.

Good luck.
I am sitting at my desk studying right now and I don't understand almost any of it! And it's so much to remember. I don't think I can do it. I am reading but not retaining any of the info. I find it very difficult to learn anything about computers unless I have a teacher with me teaching one on one. I don't know why the district made up this new computer test. It is all stuff we NEVER use. Darn them!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I think if you're stressed you won't retain anything. Can you step away and come back to it later when you are calmer?

Californiablonde

I think if you're stressed you won't retain anything. Can you step away and come back to it later when you are calmer?
I am taking your advice and stepping away from it for now. The test is July 8th. My last day here at work is June 30th. I have printed out all the info, and I can study all next week. I just wish my mind wasn't mush right now.

rebelson

I believe that things happen for a reason. Maybe there is a ton of stress to the position or other downsides to that job that you don't see!
Maybe another, more enticing door is around the corner waiting to open for you.
All you can do, is study for the 'tests' and then give it your best.
I think you're very brave for going for this spot!

PonyGirl65

Happy Last Day at Work CB :) One thing I found EXTREMELY helpful in learning Excel and Word was to actually use them! Do you/your boyfriend have a computer at home with these programs loaded on?? I had an old hand-written evaluation form that I typed up in a new Word document. I did tables, checkboxes, etc....it took me about four days!! But, I felt a lot "smarter" afterwards :)

Californiablonde

Happy Last Day at Work CB :) One thing I found EXTREMELY helpful in learning Excel and Word was to actually use them! Do you/your boyfriend have a computer at home with these programs loaded on?? I had an old hand-written evaluation form that I typed up in a new Word document. I did tables, checkboxes, etc....it took me about four days!! But, I felt a lot "smarter" afterwards :)
I don't have a working computer at home. Meanwhile, I am attempting to perform tasks on Word and Excel on my work computer. I am failing miserably. I am reading the instructions, but they are like Chinese to me. I can't even figure out how to copy and paste something. That's how bad I am. I know I won't pass this test. I just hope my supervisor doesn't get the job. If that happens, I'm screwed.

Lil

CB - There MUST be another job that would be less stressful for you!

Seriously, I'd spend my summer looking for a new job and just get OUT of that place. I know you want to stay with the school...but really, is it worth this stress??? There are other offices. There are other jobs. I think I'd work at Wal-Mart before I'd make myself nuts!

Good luck on everything, but really...start looking elsewhere!

by the way - You DON'T know what will happen next year. Your new supervisor could be even better than the new one. The big boss who's caused all this turmoil could be hit by lightening. Deep breathes girl! It isn't over til it's over.

Buy yourself a copy of Excel for Dummies and go to the public library to practice! You CAN learn.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I was able to teach myself enouogh of whatever flavor of Excel was being used in 97. Powerpoint was easy. Where I needed help desperately was with Access, the database software included in MS Office. My boss at that that time was a whiz with Access. I walked into his office one day while was finishing up creating a report in access and said, "Teach me!" He did. I never became brilliant with it, but I could get by. He also taught me Access' big brother, SQL. Again, never became a genius with it, but I was able to build a basic SQL server for a knowledge base system. (with ongoing help)

If I can learn Access and SQL with the help of someone knowledgeable, you can pick up a free MS Office class and learn Word and Excell. There's lots of free/minimal cost stuff out there for middle-aged women either rejoining hte work force or trying to advance in it Summer's plenty of time to take those classes. (And let your kids learn to fend for themselves.)

ksm

Can you google for online classes/tutortorials? How about local classes? I am taking one at the local senior center. Or look on groupon or something similar?

KSM

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Another thing to check might be non-credit courses at your local community college (these are tax deductible if you can itemize)

When my mother had to learn MS Office in the early 90s, the quickie seminar they gave her at work wasn't enough. She took a 2 month course at her community college aimed at older students in the work force. The course was very inexpensive.

KTMom91

Check out edx.org. They have free courses on practically anything you would ever want to know. I'm currently taking a series of courses on World Religions, and have a course on the history of Hollywood scheduled for September.

Californiablonde

Well everybody thank you for your suggestions but I didn't even get my foot in the door. My application for those two open positions was denied. I called the head of classified personel to ask why and got no response. My application wasn't accepted so there is no testing or interviews. I'm still stuck at my horrid job. Back to square one.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I'm sorry CB, you must feel so disappointed. If I were you I would look at it like this is what is meant to be. Perhaps down the road a bit, you may realize that this wasn't the job for you. Sometimes what feels like a loss now, ends up being a blessing in the future. Is it possible for you to go to a recruiter, or an employment agency where they could try to place you in a new job, have you tried that avenue?
Thinking of you CB, sending hugs......

Lil

I'm sorry CB...but there are OTHER jobs! You have a couple of months where looking for another job can BE your full-time job. Really, dig in and I know you can do it!