Here's a way to deal with-the drug crisis

Marguerite

I heard about that. difficult child 1 told me about it this morning, apparently it was on the news. I'm now wondering about the display of plasticised bodies currently touring Australia from China. Apparently their provenance is suspect, unknown at best. Former politicians?

Then again, why should I criticise? Here in Australia, if a public official SNAFUs like this, he doesn't even get fired, let alone shot. Instead he is encouraged to take early retirement with a settlement of several million dollars and a place on the board of something-or-other. Considering how most Aussies feel about THAT (especially if the official in question presided over the bankruptcy of many Aussies' superannuation funds) I suspect a lot of Aussies would prefer the Chinese solution.

Marg

TerryJ2

Instead he is encouraged to take early retirement with a settlement of several million dollars and a place on the board of something-or-other.

Ack! Unfortunately, that sounds familiar here in the U.S., too. Actually, we have a "better" method... the media fries you alive in newsprint, whether you're innocent or guilty.

We had bodies on tour in the U.S. and they came to Norfolk, VA, near me but I didn't see the show. Supposedly they donated their bodies after death. Especially because they came from China, no one believes that for a minute.

Lothlorien

I think China did that because the man was taking bribes, which is what they are trying to say was the reason they messed up all the stuff that is coming into our county. They did that to send a message to us. They are scared out of their minds that we are going to stop buying products from China. Honestly, I don't think it's going to solve anything. Most of us are going to think twice about buying products from China. husband works in the shipping industry. There is a major decrease in imports at the docks, suddenly.

TerryJ2

husband works in the shipping industry. There is a major decrease in imports at the docks, suddenly.

Well, at least there is some effect.
China doesn't have to worry... they mass produce pretty much everything we use. Sigh.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Has anyone been checking their household products and foods stock to see if it's all made in the USA?

I went through all my makeups and beauty products and tonight I'm going through my pantry. I rarely buy packaged foods, but we have a few items and I DO buy some things at discount dollar stores, so I think it's worth checking out. I threw out 3 beauty items that came from china - in particular, Wet n Wild makeup.

How about you?

donna723

The trouble is that how can you tell if the INGREDIENTS in something you buy have been imported from China? If the entire item was imported, like with clothing, they usually have a label stating "Made in China" or whatever. But if just certain INGREDIENTS in food products are imported, it may not say so on the label. I fed my dogs Alpo canned dog food for sixteen years, manufactured in the good ol' USA ... then we find out that the wheat gluten used as a thickener in the gravy was imported from China and was tainted!

If you doubt how many things that we buy are imported from China, just talk a stroll through your local Wal Mart! If you took all the Chinese imports out of a typical Wal Mart, it would be practically empty! Although their "solution" may seem harsh by our standards, the entire ecomony of their country has been put in jeopardy because of this one man who was taking bribes or whatever it was that he did!

TerryJ2

The trouble is that how can you tell if the INGREDIENTS in something you buy have been imported from China?
Exactly. That's what makes it so difficult.

susiestar

Roll With It
Interesting to see how the Chinese have handled this. I wonder if anything at all would have been done to the man if the unsafe products had received less media scrutiny? If the deaths had only happened in Asia?

The FDA Chief HAD to have known the lethal possibilities when he let the items "slip" through the system. Doesn't this make him a serial killer of people and pets?

I know I take a close look at where things are made. I will pay more for items "Made in USA of USA grown ingredients". I have seen this in a few places recently.

As a former restaurant manager, one of the things I look for is a reputable and reliable source for food and other goods. This Chinese official made CHINA a non-reputable source, in the eyes of much of the world.

By feathering his nest with these bribes he not only allowed unsafe merchandise onto the market, he put millions of Chinese workers out of business. These workers will have no jobs as imports decline. The ripple effect his bribe taking has on the world will be felt for a long time.

(I am NOT saying the death sentence was appropriate, just taking a wider scale look at the human cost of his actions)

Susie

TerryJ2

He is a symptom of a very large and sick system. He was definitely guilty, from what I've read, but the system will not change much.
I don't mean to be too negative, but it's clear that the Chinese gov't made an example of him for the U.S. and the rest of the world because China wants to remain a Big Player, not for any moral or legal reason.
Time will tell.