Here's an Interesting Topic of Discussion

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Lisa, I sure don't have any advice.

The clean room and no smoking in the bedroom were 2 issues we never resolved with Rob and he was pretty good at disguising/hiding things for the most part. At one point I bought plastic bins so he could keep things sorted. I set up a smoking area for him in the back yard. All to no avail.

I don't know if you remember this, but after he was at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) I dumped 16 black garbage bags that I filled with JUNK. I found cigarette butts behind his dresser, bookcase, closet, drawers, etc. It was horrifying and a miracle there wasn't a fire.

You have my sympathies.

Suz

rejectedmom

Look into the self extinguising cigarettes. I saw on the news that DE is converting over to them and no other kind will be sold in that state. It isn't a guarantee that a fire won't happen but it is one other thing that you can do. -RM

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Self extinguishing cigarettes, huh? Geez, what will they think of next? lol I bet their expensive at the moment....and idea though.

Presently we're getting cooperation. I can only hope it lasts. I used the Aubrey trump card. You know.....how would you feel if you caused a fire Aubrey got trapped in? Thanks Anaheimfan, I used a variation that I knew would have more impact. I dunno how long it'll work. But it ought to give me time to get that disaster area cleaned out so it's less of a fire hazard if he does cheat.

He's got one of those ash trays that put out the cigarette once you drop it inside...problem is, he never thinks to empty it.

Travis has been downstairs the past 2 days. If he's been cheating in his room...I haven't managed to catch him. So hopefully with this wide range of ideas I can come up with something long term.

Hugs

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
So far all smoking has been done downstairs. If he has smoked in his room, I haven't caught him at it, or seen any sign. Of course, this doesn't mean he's not cheating, necessarily, I just have seen no sign of it. But I'm hoping than means he's sticking to the rule. Travis isn't all that great about hiding stuff. Found 4 dishes up there again sitting on his bed table. sigh

susiestar

Roll With It
Lisa,

what about having him do a chore like scrub the bathtub for EACH dish you find in there? some physical chore is what I have in mind. One of the things the neuro told us with Wiz is that if we could pair up a consequence with a chore that involved physical labor then it helps make a connection in their brain. The more senses you can involve the better. So have him vacuum the stairs, scrub the tub, clean the grout in the bathroom, chores like that. They will help him remember not to do the action - AND you get some work done to pay you back for all the hassles of supervision and worrying!