Here's one--need some advice (sorry, long...)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hello all--

My DS has an IEP in place that is perfectly appropriate....

Unfortunately, his teacher does not consistently apply everything that is in place.

Right now, my son has a "checklist" that is supposed to help him be organized throughout the day. He is to "check off" each task as he accomlishes it: Turn in homework {check}, hang up jacket {check}, put away folder {check}, etc. etc. etc.

Then at the end of the day, the teacher is supposed to sign that he did indeed complete all of those tasks correctly, she can add a comment or an explanation if there is anything I need to be aware of, and then the form comes home to me to review and sign.

At first, there was a checklist every day....the system was working great.

Then, checklists were not used on Fridays, or near holidays, or on days when the schedule might be a little different.

This week, Mon and Tues no checklist. My son says the teacher didn't have any copies ready.

Wednesday--my son is in trouble for not doing Tuesday's checklist, so I get a note sent home (on Wed) that he did not fill out a checklist on Tuesday. The teacher writes "Not doing checklists! I NEED HELP!". And on Thursday, my son had to go to the principal's office to get his checklist signed.

I responded to the note by writing back that I would be happy to have my son fill out a checklist at home...but I am not sure how that helps him to be organized at school.

I don't understand why this teacher takes the tools we implemented as "aids" for my son and turns them into "punishments". What is the point of having the principal sign the checklist? What does it accomplish? (other than make my son feel as though he is constantly in trouble).

So now I feel like I am being a "trouble-maker" because I want to question what this teacher is doing (again!).

What's the best way to handle this without making the teacher resent my child?

Thanks for any advice!

--DaisyF

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
UPDATE:

Spoke to the Special Education Coodinator and she also feels that something is amiss in the classroom and so she is going to look into it and get back to me next week.

I feel so relieved that I am not alone in my concerns with the teacher's inconsisties!

Thanks for listening, everyone!

--DaisyF

JJJ

Daisy,

I'm glad the sped coordinator is looking into it for you. I wish I could figure out how to make Tigger's teachers understand that he doesn't need to earn the rights in his IEP. Please let me know how yours works out.