He's back from camp ... slightly better this time

TerryJ2

He actually spoke in complete sentences, albeit short sentences. And told me I was getting on his nerves with-so many questions. So I'd stay quiet in the car for a while and then talk about the cats or dogs at home, or about his easy child. Topics I know he is interested in.
Oh, and when we were leaving camp, he hugged another girl goodbye! Wow! He had her photo on his phone. She lives in another city, an hr away, but I'll bet they text one another.
I've already signed him up for the local police youth academy next summer. It's free, an entire wk, 9-5, and hard work. I haven't told him yet. I am so excited! He also said he would be willing to go back to both the outdoor camp and the computer camp next summer. That's nearly 3 wks worth of activities. Now I'm really excited, lol!
Luckily, husband is not working tomorrow so I hope he spends time with-difficult child. Weekends are always the hardest ...

T

TeDo

Bravo for this camp. Something, who cares what, happened but I like it!! (under holding breath) I hope it lasts (pretzeling)!

TerryJ2

Thanks, TeDo! I hope it lasts, too.
by the way, I mean easy child as in his sister, but it could also apply to his personal computer, lol!

T

TeDo

Where's the "Like" button on this one. I never gave easy child a second thought. Just assumed it was sister. Good answer Terry!!!! LOL

T

TeDo

Darn it anyhow why not. Don't we "Like" things on here too?? Someone should really do something about that. LOL

Consider your "easy child" comment LIKED!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
How cool is this Terry? A good time at camp & a new friend.

So how many days until next year's camp? I bet you know, don't you?

DammitJanet

Terry...glad to hear this. Do you have Young Marines in your area? That might be good for him and I think its year round but they have a camp thing in the summer. Also, for next summer look into a camp called Camp Seagull in NC for him. Its in Newbern NC but it isnt all that far from you. It is a 4 or 5 week camp but it is so much fun. I went to the girls part called Camp Seafarer back when I was in 5th grade so its been around forever. One of my fondest memories of childhood. Actually kids come from all over the east coast to go there so you might want to check it out in February or so. I can vouch for how good it is. My mother's father's people are from that area. Thats where I get the Scott from...lol.

DammitJanet

I guess I did run that paragraph together didnt I...lol

Ok, the Young Marines program is a really good program for boys and girls but it isnt really getting them ready to go into the military, its just a very structured group activity kind of like boy scouts but not completely. They do a ton of fun outdoorsy type things but also learn quite a bit. I would be pretty sure there would be a group in your area. They meet like once or twice a month. He would learn lots of good things that you would want him to know like respect.

The other camp is a private camp that has been in business for years and years. Like I said I went when I was in 5th grade and I know my neighbor went years before me! I went by there probably 5 years ago and they were still there. Very good camps. One is for boys and it is called Camp Seagull. They are very water oriented. One time during the middle of the camp they go to Morehead City and take a deep sea fish trip or the kids can stay in town but they stay for the weekend at a beach house the camp owns there. Like I said this place is nice. They do archery, horse back riding, boating, swimming, they take them on these hayrides to town to get a soda which is such a cool thing. I have such fond memories. I remember getting a yoohoo and it tasting better than anything ever did before.

Ahhh...memories.

TerryJ2

I found a local person ... I hope they have something open for the rest of the summer. Looks interesting. Thanks!

I'm glad you have fond memories of your camp, Janet. I love my camps from MN, too ... :)

crazymama30

I am glad camp went well, and think it is great that you have next summer in the planning stage already! How great for you both. Really glad he had a good day.