Hey, how did you do your shopping this year?

susiestar

Roll With It
I did a little bit of shopping on amazon, and some at local stores. husband and I went to aldi's yesterday and I found a few nice things there. We got a cupcake/deviled egg/cake carrier for J, a silicone baking mat for J, and a rechargeable work light for thank you that he can use plugged in, take outside, and even hang off of the top of his metal bunkbed for reading at night.

We mostly made food type gifts for the inlaws. I have/am stitching a few things, did a large project for mother in law/father in law, and am orkingon some other projects also.

I shop locally for my boys, largely D&D stuff and books. I get a lot of gifts at used places and my family thinks that it is great. So it does help make the holidays cheaper. I have to do a bit more tomorrow and Monday, and hope to be done by the 24th except for the wrapping.

Do any of the rest of you shop at thrift stores for gifts? I have gotten incredible things in the past, like the beautiful cashmere throw for my dad for Fathers Day a few years back (only $7), a very large bowl by my mom's favorite potter for less than 3% of the retail price (I did tell the store owner to watch for the potter's work in the future as it has a very strong and loyal following who would pay a good seventy bucks more than I did for the bowl), a beautiful necklace for J that is sterling silver for fifty cents, etc...

We find the bargain as much a part of the gift as the item, oddly enough. That started with what would have been a super expensive gift bought retail that was instead well under the family limit and I had to reveal the price because my mom was upset because we agreed to a limit. From there the bargain adds to the enjoyment each time it is used. The thought that goes into the hunt for a treasure that is just right makes the item far more special to us, Know what I mean??

DammitJanet

Well after going through every box I bought off of ebay, I probably wont be doing that again. Two of the items I bought didnt come with all the pieces and Tony thinks the kids will look at the stuff like we are nuts. I guess kids dont have imaginations now. I guess if I want to buy vintage Fisher Price I will just have to buy it for me and put it up.