Hey, Janet!

klmno

Which tv show did you contact about the struggles in your family? I watched Dr. Phil today and I'm tempted to email his crew about difficult child and our situation. I guess there's nothing he can do to help though since difficult child will still be under the courts/Department of Juvenile Justice authority even when he's released. I wonder if it takes months or a year to get on there, if he wants to cover the story. Supposedly, if difficult child gets released in Feb and does well on parole, he could be off parole in 6 mos, which would be next Aug.

DammitJanet

I contacted Dr Phil and yes he can help even if difficult child is on parole because he works with the local authorities. I backed out on doing the show because I figured they couldnt help us even if we went because Cory was older than they wanted. They were looking for teens.

klmno

Hmmm.....it might be worth at least talking to them then. I don't know if the local authorities we have would give on anything though. What was your general impression of the staff you talked to? Were they on-the-level or is all this just for tv?

DammitJanet

I didnt actually talk to anyone but from all the shows I have seen and the episodes where he has had people both adults and juveniles who were on probation or parole, he has worked with the system to work out treatment if that can be done with the "patient's" assistance. Now if the patient rebels and refuses to participate, he is the first one to say...book'em danno. I remember one series where he was desperately trying to help this family get their son off dope but the kid kept going back on it. Nothing was sinking in with the kid so Dr P scheduled an intervention and the kid blew it and they called the cops on him and he went to jail. Got out, did ok for a bit, went back, got out...Dr P worked with him some more...last I heard he was doing well.

klmno

Thanks! I tend to think he is for real. I also think difficult child does want a better life but just doesn't know how to get to it. Maybe I'll email the staff and see if they think they can work with the legal people here after difficult child is released.