Hey Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
Just saw on my local news that 4 firefighters and one cop from my area are headed to Oz in a couple of weeks for the firefighter/police games. Is this anywhere near you? (If they said in the news cast where it was, I missed it.) It looks like it would be fun to watch as there are all types of events.

Marguerite

Haven't heard this one. They really could be anywhere. Our boys haven't had much fun this season as fires are still going in Victoria and Tasmania. They've even had some unseasonal snow falls on some of those fires and it didn't put them out. They've been contained for some time, though. They just can't get to them to put them out - too big an area. It's only forest burning for now, though. Not much left to burn there, now.

Our local firefighters have training days (usually on the weekend, because they all have "real" jobs) and they get to do some fun stuff on those days, as well as practice runs and backburning (not this time of the year, though). Our local MP (equivalent of your congressman) is in our bushfire brigade - I think he's the current captain. And one of his executive staff is a former captain and still a very active member of the brigade. There's nothing like rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty...

I'll look around for those games.

Marg

Marguerite

Back again. I just had a look - the games are in Adelaide this year. I've only ever been to Adelaide once, 18 years ago. I was there for an hour with my family, sitting in the airport waiting for a connecting flight to Perth. I had a chance to drink some of te water and realised why Adelaide drinking water has such a terrible reputation. And I understand it's gone downhill from there. They will probably be the first Aussie capital city delighted to have the chance to drink its own sewage.

Hope your mates have stocked up on bottled water.

Marg

mstang67chic

Going Green
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marguerite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They will probably be the first Aussie capital city delighted to have the chance to drink its own sewage.

Hope your mates have stocked up on bottled water.

Marg </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif Um......ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I'll have to do some checking, see if I know anyone who's going and give them a heads up on that! lol