Hi. New. Parent of 5-year old who most likely has ODD

JJJ

Does he have an IEP? If not, he needs one immediately. There are protections available for children with behavior-related disabilities. Send the school a certified, return receipt letter asking for a "full and complete evaluation for special education services due to the difficulties that you son is experiencing at school due to suspected disabilities"

Also, I'd recommend starting a parent report (the link is at the bottom of my signature). It is a way to keep everything organized for each of the professionals that you will see. Updated it frequently and print out a copy before meeting each new doctor/evaluator. You may want to 'edit' it for the school version (the doctors need to know your psychiatric history, the school absolutely should not).

L

Liahona

Here is the link (I'm not good with computers so I hope this works)

http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/f7/board-abbreviations-acronyms-8/

If it doesn't work you can find it under parent support forum. The line at the top of the screen would look like forum > parent support forum > site help and resources > board abbreviations/acronyms

IEP isn't from this site though. It stands for individual education plan and is from the schools. It is a legal document that says where your kid is now, the goals you kid has, and how the school is going to help your kid met those goals. It is put together by a team of people that includes you. There is a whole forum on this site about ieps and dealing with schools.

L

Liahona

forgot to say welcome and this site is awesome. Your going to learn a lot from it.

Also, you turned out ok even with your past. Your son has your behavior problems but advantages you didn't. I think he'll be ok in the end. You might have a long rough road getting there but he'll probably be ok in the end. You turned out ok.

lkleiv77

Hi. I just read your inital post and have yet to read any replies. I wanted to send you a quick note to say that I just posted here for the 1st time tonight and it sounds like we have very similar stories. I am not sure if you can look up postings by name but if you can, take a look. I am going to get back to reading any advice that was posted to you as I am sure I will find it usefull as well.