smallworld

Does your insurance cover a partial hospitalization or day treatment program? I've had two kids who have gone through such programs and they were very helpful. Instead of asking whether your insurance covers evaluation (many don't), you should ask whether your insurance covers inpatient or partial hospitalization treatment. Makes a difference to insurance companies. Sometimes the hospital itself will make the calls to the insurance companies to preauthorize coverage.

How much Abilify is she taking?

Jena

weird thing is once released she exp. anxiety again before transitioning to sitter's house once there she has strict routine in place which my daugther needs and then she's happy and plays is so relieved to be away from pressure. she doens't function well in reality at all never has.

Jena

ok so it's in the wording of it that's a great idea,thank you so much kept feeling like there should be a loop hole. most programs in hos. i've called only take money upfront. right now she's on 5 mg. abilify dr. said to pull her off if i dont' see 20% improvement after mtg. with sch psychiatric adn teacher. i kept her on thought it is regulating Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) somewhat she used to take clonidine for Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) but had major hang over next morning

smallworld

You should also ask your insurance company which hospitals it will cover. Some companies will only cover certain hospitals. Make sure any hospital you choose has a pediatric psychiatric unit.

Jena

i will. not sure about inpatient i'm afraid to be honest. it's just ive' done the hospital thing 3 session psychiatric evaluation before and i'm still searching for answers that was well over year and a half ago. do you think it makes sense for them to admit to be able to truly monitor behaviors?

smallworld

For a child your daughter's age, I would recommend a partial hospitalization or day treatment program. The child typically goes to day treatment during school hours and is observed, evaluated, diagnosed and treated with medications and therapy. As I said, two of my children have done these programs (each for 5 weeks) and it gave us invaluable information.

Jena

I didn't see your post i'm sorry. So very true it is. they really are just kids, and then something will occur and it brings you back to the racing thoughts and questions in your mind. my daughter hates being this way, hates taking pills. I do the same thing with the behavior thing i'm trying to be consistent she so desperately needs it but at times it can be hard.

Jena

i think so as well. her anxiety would shoot through roof if i packed her bag and dropped her somewhere. so it was a positive experience for you. hard i bet at the same time. what did you do with the reg. school work while they were in the program for 5 weeks. were they able to return to school following?

Jena

pls. forgive me i'm new to the board and missing some of your msg. so your daughter has anxiety as well. it's hard for them right to watch them experience life that way?

i'm happy for you that she is tolerating that medication well and it is working for her. i love to hear that. i haven't tried that one as of yet. it's just the other issues she has seems to be a touch of everything in her. last doctor said she's the spectrum.

how is she doing in school? making friends getting through day with pressure, ok?

smallworld

Day treatment programs typically use some of the day to do schoolwork. My daughter caught up easily because she was only in 3rd grade at the time. My son just finished his program today and he's in high school so we're not exactly sure yet how the missed work will be handled. In any event, we may be switching him to a therapeutic day school, and the work there isn't as stressful. Everything is kind of up in the air schoolwise for him right now.

My daughter is doing well in school and with friends. But she is not on the spectrum.

susiestar

Roll With It
Hi! Sorry I have not responded to you sooner. Last week has been pretty tough here. Medical issues with my daughter - and it IS hard to watch them, no matter what the problem. Though anxiety does seem super-hard to me, at least as a parent.

You say she has a lot of sensory things. Has she seen an Occupational Therapist for a thorough evaluation of sensory issues? My youngest has Sensory Integration Disorder, his brain does not handle all the input it gets the way a "neurotypical" kid would. Certain things are intolerable, drive him nuts, or just plain freak him out. And what he finds intolerable, chances are one of the other 2 will crave. Or what he craves drives someone else nuts.

An Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation is usually a very useful tool to help figure out how best to help kids cope. I know that the multidisciplinary evaluation we went through with our oldest did NOT include this, though I have no idea why it didn't.

What ends up helping many many kids with Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) and other sensory issues is brushing. It needs to be taught by an Occupational Therapist (OT) (occupational therapist) and at first we had to do it every 2 hours except at night. I thought it was a lot, but it is non-invasive, involves no medicine, and the risk seemed low, especially compared to many of the medicines. After a while you do it less often. Last year one child in my son's 1st grade had brushing done at school by an aide or the teacher. (Wouldn't ya know - soon ALL the kids wanted it!!).

It is one more tool you can explore. And it usually has a much lower risk of side effects than medications.

The best book on Sensory Integration Disorder is "The Out-of-Sync Child" by Carol Kranowitz. It explains things very well. For sheer usefulness, "The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun" by the same author is AMAZING!!It has a lot of activities for each type of sensory input the person needs. MAny of them do not require special tools, or the tools/ingredients are very common (meaning that you do NOT have to spend a fortune on special equipment that will be outgrown). I can't think of any activities that would hurt anyone who did not have Sensory Integration Disorder (SID). So all the sibs could do them together, unless it just felt bad to one of them.

Occupational Therapy for Sensory issues can help a LOT with anxiety. I know that when my son seems really anxious brushing more frequently helps a whole lot. So do certain other activities, but each kid needs different things. (It would just be too darn easy if they each needed the same thing, wouldn't it??)

Glad you found us (but sorry you need us!).

Hugs,

Susie

F

flutterbee

High functioning moments? Yep. Even the neuropsychologist said she was surprised to find what she did. She's very good at hiding it - wants to be 'normal'. Then it all comes out at home.

DDD

I'm living the problem this evening. difficult child is WAY out there tonight and very very argumentative. He is insisting that I told
him to take his dirty clothes and put them in the dryer. Not!
He functions well for days on end and then it's like he falls off
the deep end. I have no solution but I sure can lend a sympathetic ear. DDD

Jena

Thank you to all of you for sharing all of that.

Susie thank you for the name of those books, I read alot so i will def. be picking those up.

It's amazing isn't it, kinda' makes your head spin at times that they can switch gears so quickly. Sometimes like this afternoon my daugther is just great, smiling even laughing not doing her Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) stuff, sensory no anixiety's down she got really upset with me at one point and she started to rage a bit till iput her in lock down mode to cool down. Then we went out to dinner just the three of us me and my girls which we dont do often. My older one is funny and outgoing and bubbly and there's Corrine she is sitting with her jacket on I asked her to take it off she didn't want to. Then she barely ate (she thinks that people are always looking at her), and didnt talk a whole lot at first, cringes when my older one acts nutty or is laughing she is very animated. so anyway they wanted dessert but corrine had to get out of there she couldnt' take it anymore so we packed up dessert to go.

i'll tell you this though she makes me see life differently, in a different way. Not sure if thats good or bad it just is a whole diff. perspective unlike my own.

gotta love them, they are so resilient and strong these children how they go through their days with multiple struggles. my heart goes out to all of them, and ofcourse us the wonderful giving parents. :smile:

Jen

Jena

hi,

i'm sorry to hear you are having a rough night. what do you do when this happens? my daugther's been pretty ok but she's also small only going to be nine nxt. mos.

i'm guessing a lock down in a sense in a room wouldn't work with calming music. my little one used to trash the room if i did that she doesn't anymore which i'm thankful for.

i hope your nite gets better. :smile: deep breaths

Jen